Charity Ministries and assorted other topics

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Charity Ministries

Post by Hats Off »

I would guess Vienna is almost an old order Charity church. I believe they have a minister who was ordained Old Order at Mount Forest, Ontario. One of my nephews attended Vienna until they moved to the Maritime provinces, New Brunswick, I believe, to help a young church there. I would have considered my nephew, his wife and daughters to be plainer than many Old Order Mennonites.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I believe Hesston has gone the way of typical Charity groups - at one time I believe they had a three way split.
0 x
quietpilgrim
Affiliation: Charity

Post by quietpilgrim »

ABC 123 wrote:Was. As in past tense for most of them.
And sadly, not just Ohio. Take a look at this church directory from April, 2004.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404070358 ... wstate.cfm

12 years. It's really not that long ago. Less than 1 generation.

How many of these fellowships are still viable today? What became of the families who were in those fellowships? And of the ones that still are around, are they holding fast to conservative Anabaptist principles?

QP
0 x
Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. (Διδαχή των Δώδεκα Αποστόλων)
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

quietpilgrim wrote: What became of the families who were in those fellowships?
QP
Let's just say the Godly Home Series sounded like a good idea when it first came around. Who wouldn't want the idyllic family and someone to tell you how to do it?

I don't think anyone foresaw where so many of the families---the youth in particular---would end up by 2017 (and even much sooner!).

Good, bad, or otherwise the original vision is no longer desirable to many.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

quietpilgrim wrote:
ABC 123 wrote:Was. As in past tense for most of them.
And sadly, not just Ohio. Take a look at this church directory from April, 2004.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404070358 ... wstate.cfm

12 years. It's really not that long ago. Less than 1 generation.

How many of these fellowships are still viable today? What became of the families who were in those fellowships? And of the ones that still are around, are they holding fast to conservative Anabaptist principles?

QP
Wow.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

quietpilgrim wrote:Take a look at this church directory from April, 2004.
Take a look at this list from 2012. A similar total number of churches, but only about a third are on both lists. That's a lot of turnover in 8 years! :o
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Berea in Salem (Columbiana County) had a group that separated and formed Grace Christian Fellowship, Lisbon, Ohio. I visit folks from the latter group every month or so—they occasionally have a 7am men's prayer meeting I go to sometimes.

Recently (as in the last several months) yet another group has separated from Berea. I don't know their name or details about where they are meeting.
0 x
quietpilgrim
Affiliation: Charity

Post by quietpilgrim »

ohio jones wrote:
Take a look at this list from 2012. A similar total number of churches, but only about a third are on both lists. That's a lot of turnover in 8 years! :o
To be fair, I spotted three of the churches on the original Charity list which I shared that are still meeting together, but are no longer affiliated with Charity. These would be Saint Thomas Fellowship in PA (now unaffiliated Mennonite), and Victory Christian Fellowship in Goshen, IN (a "Brad Bahler" type church, for lack of a better descriptive), and the church in Manistee, MI. Perhaps there are others.

The directory that Charity Christian Fellowship now publishes divides churches into "affiliated" churches and "loosely associated" churches. The loosely associated ones would not be in the listing of churches on the GAMEO entry.

QP
0 x
Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου, διαφορὰ δὲ πολλὴ μεταξὺ τῶν δύο ὁδῶν. (Διδαχή των Δώδεκα Αποστόλων)
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

An aside to Quiet Pilgrim: Interesting quote from the Didache in your signature. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

quietpilgrim wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
To be fair, I spotted three of the churches on the original Charity list which I shared that are still meeting together, but are no longer affiliated with Charity. These would be Saint Thomas Fellowship in PA (now unaffiliated Mennonite), and Victory Christian Fellowship in Goshen, IN (a "Brad Bahler" type church, for lack of a better descriptive), and the church in Manistee, MI. Perhaps there are others.

The directory that Charity Christian Fellowship now publishes divides churches into "affiliated" churches and "loosely associated" churches. The loosely associated ones would not be in the listing of churches on the GAMEO entry.

QP
Charity's listing of affiliated churches (probably for purposes of finding fellowship) were always pretty arbitrary. For example one of the churches you mention, St. Thomas Christian Fellowship, probably never asked to be on such a list, and always was unaffiliated Mennonite. They were a plant from Shippensburg Christian Fellowship, which wasn't really a Charity-affiliated church, although men from Shippensburg spoke at Charity events such as their Bible schools.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3