Charity Ministries and assorted other topics

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Charity Ministries

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Josh wrote:Interestingly, Oneness Apostolic Pentecostals have cut way back on the emotionalism and pitched fervent appeals. The pastors I know emphasise gradual lifestyle change, and teach the new birth is not an instant process - salvation is, but sanctification can take a lifetime. They focus on making sure a candidate for baptism is ready for intense discipleship for the next few months.

In a sense, they are becoming more Anabaptist than some Anabaptists. They certainly are reaching the lost in places I simply am not and where unfortunately us Anabaptists aren't either.
Yeah. One of my former pastors once said "If you create an appetite you will have to feed it." I doubt that many can keep up that high emotional pitch year after year, but some try......

J.M.
Here's an example of a quote from a Oneness pastor I know:
The depth of any revival will be determined exactly by the spirit of repentance that is obtained.
Quite a departure from classic revivalism.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Yeah. One of my former pastors once said "If you create an appetite you will have to feed it." I doubt that many can keep up that high emotional pitch year after year, but some try......

J.M.
Here's an example of a quote from a Oneness pastor I know:
The depth of any revival will be determined exactly by the spirit of repentance that is obtained.
Quite a departure from classic revivalism.
I think you are confusing "classic revivalism" with contemporary revivalism, Josh. The messages of men like Charles Finney and Jonathan Edwards were based on repentance. It is only the modern day ultra Charismatics that have focused on the counterfeits. I just finished a book by Hank Hannegraaff who confirmed what I had observed about the holy laughter movement or recent years. The health and wealth gospel is a counterfeit message.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
daigi212
Affiliation:

Post by daigi212 »

Is there any way I can know  who's affiliated/loosely affiliated with who? For example I appreciate a lot what comes out of Berne Christian Fellowship in Indiana from listening to them online. How would I find out who's affiliated with them? I'm from Ontario.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Berne is loosely affiliated with what is presently being called the "Ebenezer churches".
Ebenezer is a new network that has not yet officially formed. There are about 25 churches that aren't sure they want to continue being lumped in with, "the Charity churches", and decided that the only way to do this would be to give themselves a new name. At this point Ebenezer is more of a movement than a constituency.

Josh and Judas Maccabeus can tell you the affiliation of most any Anabaptist congregation you have interest in.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:Berne is loosely affiliated with what is presently being called the "Ebenezer churches".
Ebenezer is a new network that has not yet officially formed. There are about 25 churches that aren't sure they want to continue being lumped in with, "the Charity churches", and decided that the only way to do this would be to give themselves a new name. At this point Ebenezer is more of a movement than a constituency.

Josh and Judas Maccabeus can tell you the affiliation of most any Anabaptist congregation you have interest in.
Ernie,

What is the Ebenezer network’s level of affiliation with the five Elmendorf-type Hutterite colonies?
0 x
Gsthompson277
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Gsthompson277 »

Does anyone have an address phone number for Grace Christian Fellowship in Lisbon, Oh. No one in Lisbon has ever heard of it.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Gsthompson277 wrote:Does anyone have an address phone number for Grace Christian Fellowship in Lisbon, Oh. No one in Lisbon has ever heard of it.
GCF meets in the Lisbon grange building (last I heard) but I do not have an address for it.

I am familiar with a lot of folks there. Dwight Miller is one of the ministers and Nate Yoder was a minister. If you send me a PM, I would be glad to share contact info with you.

This is Nate Yoder's business: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 220923297/
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I know this is an old thread, but...

Didn't Harmony Christian Fellowship have a few splinter groups break away in the past few years? I think one meets in Schaefferstown, Pa and the other is upstate??
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

steve-in-kville wrote:I know this is an old thread, but...

Didn't Harmony Christian Fellowship have a few splinter groups break away in the past few years? I think one meets in Schaefferstown, Pa and the other is upstate??
I have heard a couple of Anabaptist born people claim that "Anabaptism is cursef with splitting". I never really understood or considered this could be true until I read these comments, questions, directories. Could there be any truth to this claim?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I don't think it was a contentious split. I think the first one was because they got too big. The other might be a church plant. Perhaps someone could confirm that.

Truth be told, you are most likely right about being cursed... of the three groups I would have been affiliated with over the last 20+ years, each one had a split or at least a splinter group walk away.
Valerie wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:I know this is an old thread, but...

I have heard a couple of Anabaptist born people claim that "Anabaptism is cursef with splitting". I never really understood or considered this could be true until I read these comments, questions, directories. Could there be any truth to this claim?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!