Non-resistance: Where do you draw the line [POLL]

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Non-resistance: Which best represents the limits of your non-resistant convictions?

Total votes: 0

Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: Non-resistance: Where do you draw the line [POLL]

Post by Chris »

For me, the old question of "home invasion" is always asked.... like ALWAYS asked by those who do not understand non-resistance.

So let's go to the home invasion.

Firstly, I would not resist for myself. The commandment was spoken of in first person. Do not (you) resist an evil person. Most likely if it was just me I would high tail it out of there and run.

Secondly, I do have a family. I would not resist an any way that would cause harm to the person home invading (love your enemies). I would be happy to shield my family. I would be happy to remove an intruders hands off my family. I would physically point the gun at me rather than my children while they held it. If we could run, I'd knock our fridge over as we headed out the door to block the path.... Or if upstairs, the end tables, plants, toy box, etc., would all be chunked all over the stairs to buy us time. .... Who knows, but I think I'm probably clear.

BUT THERE IS A REALITY TO HOME INVASIONS. I hope somebody can find percentages, but this is from all over the internet.

First, MOST home invasions happen to drug dealers. Police after investigating a home invasion always looks for "why" because drug dealers are so common to be invaded in such a way. Also it is common for a home invader to know the home and be targeting specifics.

Second, the most common items stolen are:

1) Cash - Don't know about you, but there is probably less than $100 cash in my home most is in the bank.
2) Guns - I found 1 site the cited assault weapons. I just have a shotgun for hunting. It's long.
3) Jewelry - Well here we go Anabaptists, our gold jewelry.... NOPE.
4) Drugs - Again, they'll raid our cupboards, push aside the canned goods, and steal our stash??
5) High end electronics - They get my 5 year old budget laptop.

So the reality is, most Anabaptists who are non-resistant will have next to NOTHING a home invader even wants.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Non-resistance: Where do you draw the line [POLL]

Post by RZehr »

Chris wrote:For me, the old question of "home invasion" is always asked.... like ALWAYS asked by those who do not understand non-resistance.

So let's go to the home invasion.

Firstly, I would not resist for myself. The commandment was spoken of in first person. Do not (you) resist an evil person. Most likely if it was just me I would high tail it out of there and run.

Secondly, I do have a family. I would not resist an any way that would cause harm to the person home invading (love your enemies). I would be happy to shield my family. I would be happy to remove an intruders hands off my family. I would physically point the gun at me rather than my children while they held it. If we could run, I'd knock our fridge over as we headed out the door to block the path.... Or if upstairs, the end tables, plants, toy box, etc., would all be chunked all over the stairs to buy us time. .... Who knows, but I think I'm probably clear.

BUT THERE IS A REALITY TO HOME INVASIONS. I hope somebody can find percentages, but this is from all over the internet.

First, MOST home invasions happen to drug dealers. Police after investigating a home invasion always looks for "why" because drug dealers are so common to be invaded in such a way. Also it is common for a home invader to know the home and be targeting specifics.

Second, the most common items stolen are:

1) Cash - Don't know about you, but there is probably less than $100 cash in my home most is in the bank.
2) Guns - I found 1 site the cited assault weapons. I just have a shotgun for hunting. It's long.
3) Jewelry - Well here we go Anabaptists, our gold jewelry.... NOPE.
4) Drugs - Again, they'll raid our cupboards, push aside the canned goods, and steal our stash??
5) High end electronics - They get my 5 year old budget laptop.

So the reality is, most Anabaptists who are non-resistant will have next to NOTHING a home invader even wants.
Tools and guns. That would be what they would probably take. But the most common theft of myself, family and friends have been tools that are not kept inside the house. Either a shop or tool trailer.
0 x