Please tell me why?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Please tell me why?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
This is more closely associated with the "no dually pickups because it looks like women's anatomy, and uncovered elbows look like another part, and we should avoid all of it, etc. line of thinking than it's not.
Wait...what? For real? That's a totally new one for me. Are you serious? Is that really a thing?

Are there no conservative Mennonite truck drivers? Because wow....18 wheels there.
I'd really like this explained. I'm not seeing it.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Ken wrote:
ragpicker wrote:
This is more closely associated with the "no dually pickups because it looks like women's anatomy, and uncovered elbows look like another part, and we should avoid all of it, etc. line of thinking than it's not.
Wait...what? For real? That's a totally new one for me. Are you serious? Is that really a thing?

Are there no conservative Mennonite truck drivers? Because wow....18 wheels there.
I have heard this once or twice over the pulpit, not gonna explain it. A minority from my perspective. More an attempt to keep pride in check from the sincere leaders I've interacted with.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Signtist wrote:
Josh wrote:
This is a (somewhat apocryphal) story from ultra-conservative circles that does not represent conservative Anabaptists as a whole.

But if you’d like to make fun of plain people, it’s a great story to pass around.
Its a fairly safe representation of what Nationwide and Easterns teach, or at least taught. Ragpicker actually forgot to mention open toed shoes and what they bring to a man’s mind. And hearts. No one would ever draw a heart again if they knew the origins and what they represent.
Seriously though. Do elders (?) who think this stuff up even remember what it was like to be 18-21? Because seriously, boys are going to think about girls near 24/7 even if they are wearing head-to-to Islamic burkas. If you go down this road where do you stop? Apples can be heart shaped. So can beets. And then there's beet juice. What about bananas and cucumbers and carrots and corn on the cob?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ShantyShaker
Affiliation: BMA

Post by ShantyShaker »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Ken wrote:
ragpicker wrote:

The dually pickups thing is only with the factory pickup bed on it. The churches that ban the dually pickups, usually allow them if they have a flatbed on them.
0 x
Former user name: C&MJ
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Signtist wrote:
Josh wrote:
This is a (somewhat apocryphal) story from ultra-conservative circles that does not represent conservative Anabaptists as a whole.

But if you’d like to make fun of plain people, it’s a great story to pass around.
Its a fairly safe representation of what Nationwide and Easterns teach, or at least taught. Ragpicker actually forgot to mention open toed shoes and what they bring to a man’s mind. And hearts. No one would ever draw a heart again if they knew the origins and what they represent.
Funny how quick some people were to pooh pooh it. But that's OK. They have their various reasons. Doesn't change the reality that this was a thing.

Another one had something to do with a mirror sticker on a Datsun pickup. Oh, and cover the elbows too. Man, there was a bunch of perverted men running some of the show, wasn't there?

BTW, one of the men responsible for some of this had a file of suggestive advertising in his desk drawer. It was a favorite subject of his to rant about. Not the file, but the stuff in the file. No one knew about the file.

Speaking of files... if you're a Mennonite preacher, don't take notes about your conspiracy to lie to your church for political gain. That's dumb. Someone might break into your house and find them and read them, and become very cynical. "Let's pray for Joe. He's 18 and just doesn't seem interested in the church." Ya reckon?

Back on track... this perversion stuff is 100% connected to the OP. We can dance around it, but it is.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
steve-in-kville

ShantyShaker wrote:
The churches that ban the dually pickups, usually allow them if they have a flatbed on them.
Okay, lets back up a bit. So the dually truck thing is obviously a legit concern in some circles, but a test of membership?? :o

Please tell me this is a joke that doesn't stop.... :?
0 x

ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

steve-in-kville wrote:the dually truck thing is obviously a legit concern in some circles
I'm not sure I would call it legit. It's born out of a perverted heart.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
steve-in-kville

If I told my wife she looks like a dually pickup, I'd be sleeping on the sofa for a while :roll:
0 x

ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

steve-in-kville wrote:If I told my wife she looks like a dually pickup, I'd be sleeping on the sofa for a while :roll:
I've seen 2 or 3 women whose hips reminded me of a dually pickup. I felt sorry for them.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
steve-in-kville

ragpicker wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:If I told my wife she looks like a dually pickup, I'd be sleeping on the sofa for a while :roll:
I've seen 2 or 3 women whose hips reminded me of a dually pickup. I felt sorry for them.
:laugh :laugh
0 x