Conservative Anabaptist Young People

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ms. Izzie
Affiliation: CA

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Young People

Post by Ms. Izzie »

QuietObserver wrote:He thinks Neo-Anabaptism is going to emerge from young people, however this sounds like Fundamentalism 2.0. I'm not sure how this is different from what Midwest, BMA, and liberal Amish-Mennonites are already doing.
I listened to the podcast. Could you explain in more detail what you think the three groups you mentioned are already doing?

Also, for anybody else on MN, how would you describe the young people in your church? Does it match with what Tim describes?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I was shocked to see some of the things the girls admitted to. 44% of girls are facing problems in friendships and 21% have issues with depression. 70% of girls with an average age of 21.6 are content, not dating while 56% of boys are content. The data on dating is so much different than in our church currently and even more different from what it was two generations ago. We think we have too many young men seemingly content without dating. But if we asked our youth, the girls would be less content not dating than the boys would be. I find the dating information disturbing - it seems to me to connect with the girl's problems with friendships, depression and spending too much time on line. 59% of the young people indicated that they wasted too much time on social media.
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

Ms. Izzie wrote:
QuietObserver wrote:He thinks Neo-Anabaptism is going to emerge from young people, however this sounds like Fundamentalism 2.0. I'm not sure how this is different from what Midwest, BMA, and liberal Amish-Mennonites are already doing.
I listened to the podcast. Could you explain in more detail what you think the three groups you mentioned are already doing?

Also, for anybody else on MN, how would you describe the young people in your church? Does it match with what Tim describes?
They are already fundamentalist...dropping church standards and cultural traditions, trying to be more culturally relevant. What I heard Tim saying was that something new was going to emerge from today's young people. My thought is that none of this is new and is already in Anabaptist circles.
0 x