Men: How do you dress for Church?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How do you dress for Sunday Church

Total votes: 0

Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Men: How do you dress for Church?

Post by Fidelio »

Just curious as I understand Anabaptists generally dress modestly, but that does not necessarily require wearing of a business suit. This is for Sunday service, not mid-week, which I understand can be a bit less formal than Sunday. The several selections for "long pants" means to be decent pants, not blue jeans, but can be relatively casual so long as clean and in good condition. I voted long pants and button shirt--no necktie. I hate neckties. I never thought it was a good fashion idea to have a noose around the neck. Who designed that? I guess I could wear a clip on tie. :D

Ability to change your vote is enabled.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Men: How do you dress for Church?

Post by Swiss Bro »

Long pants, button shirt, jacket but no tie is my outfit. Many dress more casual and ties are a rare sight in our congregation.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I picked other as I wear casual pants and shirt, except in summer where the pants become shorts and sandals.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
daigi212
Affiliation:

Post by daigi212 »

Plain coloured long sleeved shirt buttoned to the top, long pants, usually with vest, sometimes with a jacket.
0 x
Mountain Merle
Affiliation: Redneck Mennonite

Post by Mountain Merle »

Long sleeve button down shirts and long pants. No jacket or tie. And the top button on the shirt is never buttoned but the second one is. (tight things around my neck bother me) I've been thinking lately about the casual vs formal approach to dressing for church. Somewhere there must be a balance between three piece suits on one hand and shorts and sandals on the other. How should the idea of worshiping a Holy God affect us? When we come to church looking completely casual, how can we be sure that our attitudes about God and worship aren't quite casual as well? Notice, I am asking questions, not making statements; I don't claim to know all the answers.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Gave away my last neck-tie 35-years ago when my wife gave away her jewelry. :)
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Long pants and long sleeve dress shirt in winter with vest and a coat. No tie.

Summer is a short sleeve dress shirt with long pants. No tie.

No prints or stripes.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Mountain Merle wrote:How should the idea of worshiping a Holy God affect us? When we come to church looking completely casual, how can we be sure that our attitudes about God and worship aren't quite casual as well?
Some folk say that because the NT doesn't refer to musical instruments in worship we shouldn't use them. Well, the NT also doesn't say that the early church changed into a different set of clothes to assemble either.

But there is a verse I think does reflect how we are to clothe ourselves around each other and that is - Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5). And we know that one can be just as proud about their casual dress as they can about their 'dress up' clothes or anything in between.

For myself, casual clothes don't affect my attitude about God and how I worship when assembled with other believers. I don't even want to think about my clothes or the clothes of anyone else.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote:Some folk say that because the NT doesn't refer to musical instruments in worship we shouldn't use them. Well, the NT also doesn't say that the early church changed into a different set of clothes to assemble either.
On the other hand, I'm rather glad the hog farmer changes clothes before coming to church.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

ohio jones wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Some folk say that because the NT doesn't refer to musical instruments in worship we shouldn't use them. Well, the NT also doesn't say that the early church changed into a different set of clothes to assemble either.
On the other hand, I'm rather glad the hog farmer changes clothes before coming to church.
It has been said that cleanliness is next to Godliness--not a Bible quote by the way. :)
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.