Of Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Of Baptism

Post by Wade »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:1. Mennonites are deceived about baptism but have honest hearts. God will forgive them since they have never heard the honest truth preached.

2. But one who hears the true message of salvation - to be fully immersed and then washed of your sins - has a responsibility to do it.

3. If they don't do it they are rejecting Christ and salvation.
Guess I'd better not download and listen to any more of their sermons, lest I lose my ignorance and thus my salvation.
They had better also not talk to my friend that said the only true baptism was full immersion but triple dunk!
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:1. Mennonites are deceived about baptism but have honest hearts. God will forgive them since they have never heard the honest truth preached.

2. But one who hears the true message of salvation - to be fully immersed and then washed of your sins - has a responsibility to do it.

3. If they don't do it they are rejecting Christ and salvation.
Guess I'd better not download and listen to any more of their sermons, lest I lose my ignorance and thus my salvation.
They had better also not talk to my friend that said the only true baptism was full immersion but triple dunk!
Ah, Old German Baptist no doubt.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Wade

Post by Wade »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:
ohio jones wrote: Guess I'd better not download and listen to any more of their sermons, lest I lose my ignorance and thus my salvation.
Actually he has no ties with them as far as I know, I think he called himself something more like an Apostolic Christian.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:Since they look up to cradle conservative Anabaptists,
I have found the opposite to be the case. You can PM me for details.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I did not know ACC are triple dunkers although I did know they are immersionists.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Anyone have any tips/ strategies to deal with family that is pushing members to get baptized too young? My grandparents (one Baptist, one EO :roll: ) are really pushing my young (10) sister to get baptized. My parents aren't for this, but my grandparents are hugely influential.

How to deal with this?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Anyone have any tips/ strategies to deal with family that is pushing members to get baptized too young? My grandparents (one Baptist, one EO :roll: ) are really pushing my young (10) sister to get baptized. My parents aren't for this, but my grandparents are hugely influential.

How to deal with this?
When I was an atheist, my wife, who was Catholic then, wanted to baptize our children and this bothered me. My dad had stopped my mother (she was raised Catholic) from baptizing me and my sister as infants. I talked to him about my children. He said something that really had a big impact on me, he said, "It is just a sprinkling, it won't hurt them. I regret not letting your mother do it to you for how much it hurt her."

I don't want to give any impression that I am for baptizing children. But I do believe if we show a soft Christ-like spirit that will have a deeper impact on the person. My dad's softness didn't really persuade me to do the right thing in letting some of our children be baptized as infants but it softened my view and was helpful in growing.

Interestingly now my wife is a literal Anabaptist since she was re-baptized. :D

Hopefully if your sister gets baptized too young that the influence you will have on her will help lead her in a closer walk with the Lord and she will make that choice one day of being baptized when she is older without the pressures of others but because she really has counted the cost, wants to follow Christ, plus desires to be part of His church and kingdom with her all.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Anyone have any tips/ strategies to deal with family that is pushing members to get baptized too young? My grandparents (one Baptist, one EO :roll: ) are really pushing my young (10) sister to get baptized. My parents aren't for this, but my grandparents are hugely influential.

How to deal with this?
Both my wife and I are literal Anabaptists, having been immersed as children in the Baptist church, but when we really committed our lives to Christ we were impressed by the Holy Spirit to do it again, in genuine faith. I wouldn't encourage it, but wouldn't forbid it either. Remind your family that it is supposed to be "believer's baptism" and that it is at the discretion of the believer him/herself to be immersed, not the parents or grandparents. Water does not save, only "...the answer of a good conscience toward God..."[faith] does.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

How to deal with this?
KB, this is something to consider, i have similar situations in my life. i rely heavily on prayer for the Holy Spirit to guide my words.

so far, restraining my thoughts, carefully measuring my words, has born good fruit. it can be tough!
but, allowing for God's time and God's will, not in abject silence, but in respectful obedience and trust in Him. it's so easy to bring on resistance by pressing .. the very opposite of intentions.

i appreciate Wade's and george's input above.
i only mean to add a bit to consider.

your sister is not your daughter. :)
it's important for her to witness respect to elders, mother and father, and grandparents.
Jesus loves children, we know this.

you are a young adult. it's well for you to discuss Truth with your elders.

in time, your sister will observe your witness, spoken or not, it's likely to have a profound impact on her. if you act and speak with abundant grace toward your elders (which i believe you are) over time, this may very well be the greatest influence on her, although you might fear "losing a battle" in this particular moment.

many are struggling with similar in their homes today. i am.
that's ok. we are to be vigilant, alive, not lazy or ambivalent.

when we choose Truth, we do not "lose." faith sustains. the reward comes in God's time.
peace be with you.
Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
Unknown
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quot ... 09569.html
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:
ohio jones wrote: Guess I'd better not download and listen to any more of their sermons, lest I lose my ignorance and thus my salvation.
George, George... Not all of us are set on TRINE immersion, you know. 8-)

And while I'm here, there was an earlier comment:
German Baptist [Brethren] do a much briefer period (a few weeks), and whilst they believe baptism does wash away sins they also grant that there is a divine grace and mystery in God being willing to save the honest seeker during this time.
For clarity, the OGBB conferences (Old and New both) have no instruction class. This has always been one of the differences between us and full-Anabaptists. A couple of the ministry will visit the applicant (seeking baptism) in their home one evening simply to verify their desire for baptism and membership, to briefly cover the general group beliefs and practices, and to arrange time/date/details for the baptism (usually within the week, but not always) since it's nearly always at a river, stream, pond, etc.
0 x