Of Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Of Baptism

Post by gcdonner »

Sudsy wrote: Thanks gc. Where do you think the idea originated that water baptism was an entry point into the local church. Seems to me when we are born again and receive a new heart, we become part of the Church and brotherhood of other saints wherever they chose to fellowship and I don't see in the NT where water baptism is linked to joining a specific 'brand' of local fellowship. Nor do I see the agreeing to a unique dogma in this 'joining' a local church. Seems to me water baptism is often more tied to becoming a member of a local church than it is picturing what Paul said. And, of course, what Paul said doesn't seem to make much sense as a picture by sprinkling either, imo.
I'm not sure where the concept of membership became tied to water baptism, but I suspect it is the result of infant baptism, since a child automatically becomes a member of the RC when they are baptized as an infant. We need to remember that all the reformers were originally RC adherents, and none of them, Mennonites included left all of their traditions behind them, only those particulars that they had personally isolated as incorrect doctrine and practice.

None of the "major" reformers left infant baptism behind, and the Anabaptists were focused on believer's baptism, but didn't follow through on a complete understanding of the need for immersion, with the noted exceptions of the German Baptists and a few other lesser known groups.
We need to be grateful for what each one did find and reformed, however. We should be reminded that most of the reformers intended to reform the RC and not to start new groups. It was the lack of respect and the poor reception to their ideas by the mainstream church that forced them into leaving. Many of the reformers died for their beliefs at the hands of the larger bodies of believers, which were not always the RC. The Anabaptists died at the hands of some of the reformers themselves.

It has always been a point of sadness to me, that those who were persecuted have often become persecutors themselves. I have seen this in the Mennonite circles even in our own days and in Baptist circles as well. I suspect it is not unique to these denominations, only that I have experienced it in these circles.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth