Of Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Of Baptism

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:At question here is the definition of "biblical marriage", "biblical salvation", and "biblical baptism". Their definition of marriage excludes half of conservative Mennonites.
You mean the belief and practice of half of conservative Mennonites. Not half of conservative Mennonite marriages, correct?

Conservative Anabaptists are divided on their view of marriage, but both halves give each other the right hand of fellowship. Some do not allow folks of the other persuasion to preach in their churches.

FotW invites people of the other persuasion (people who have urged them to reconsider their position) to preach in their churches. So it seems to me they are more tolerant on this issue than most conservative Anabaptists.
Josh wrote: In Kiravilla's book "King Jesus Claims His Church" he defines salvation as something that happens with baptism. That puts him at odds with virtually all Mennonites.
True.
However, virtually all Mennonites would say that a person who does not seek baptism or avoids getting baptized is in danger of losing his salvation. So at the end of the day, they kind of believe the same thing, the one just wants to take more time and make sure a person is born of the Spirit and ready to submit and commit himself to the local body.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:At question here is the definition of "biblical marriage", "biblical salvation", and "biblical baptism". Their definition of marriage excludes half of conservative Mennonites.
You mean the belief and practice of half of conservative Mennonites. Not half of conservative Mennonite marriages, correct?

Conservative Anabaptists are divided on their view of marriage, but both halves give each other the right hand of fellowship. Some do not allow folks of the other persuasion to preach in their churches.

FotW invites people of the other persuasion (people who have urged them to reconsider their position) to preach in their churches. So it seems to me they are more tolerant on this issue than most conservative Anabaptists.
Josh wrote: In Kiravilla's book "King Jesus Claims His Church" he defines salvation as something that happens with baptism. That puts him at odds with virtually all Mennonites.
True.
However, virtually all Mennonites would say that a person who does not seek baptism or avoids getting baptized is in danger of losing his salvation. So at the end of the day, they kind of believe the same thing, the one just wants to take more time and make sure a person is born of the Spirit and ready to submit and commit himself to the local body.
I hope you fellows are not losing sight of the OP... this thread is for a seeker, remember?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
Correct, but this is still a big deal to them.

Ok, that would be accurate. Since they look up to cradle conservative Anabaptists, they would be pretty confident allowing that. (I highly doubt I would be tolerated at all unless I reformed my views.)
True.
Here is how Matthew and Tim laid it out to me:

1. Mennonites are deceived about baptism but have honest hearts. God will forgive them since they have never heard the honest truth preached.

2. But one who hears the true message of salvation - to be fully immersed and then washed of your sins - has a responsibility to do it.

3. If they don't do it they are rejecting Christ and salvation.

When I asked them point blank if there is any chance I could be saved, they hemmed and hawed for a few minutes and then said "no", since I had just heard the true plan of salvation.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I hope you fellows are not losing sight of the OP... this thread is for a seeker, remember?
I held my tongue for a while and then realised that would mean certain voices (coincidentally non-Mennonite voices) would dominate. I have given up on this ever being a place that is helpful to seekers.

If I laid out my belief on baptism I would share with a new seeker, you and I would instantly be launched into an argument.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
I held my tongue for a while and then realised that would mean certain voices (coincidentally non-Mennonite voices) would dominate. I have given up on this ever being a place that is helpful to seekers.

If I laid out my belief on baptism I would share with a new seeker, you and I would instantly be launched into an argument.
Why not start a new thread to discuss this issue?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:

??? Start a new thread to answer the OP's question?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:

??? Start a new thread to answer the OP's question?
LOL, no to discuss the FotW views... :mrgreen:
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Oh, that would be most welcome.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:Oh, that would be most welcome.
Go for it!
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:1. Mennonites are deceived about baptism but have honest hearts. God will forgive them since they have never heard the honest truth preached.

2. But one who hears the true message of salvation - to be fully immersed and then washed of your sins - has a responsibility to do it.

3. If they don't do it they are rejecting Christ and salvation.
Guess I'd better not download and listen to any more of their sermons, lest I lose my ignorance and thus my salvation.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited