Of Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Shoesnsocks
Affiliation:

Of Baptism

Post by Shoesnsocks »

I just recently read some writings from David Bercot and discovered that he believes that a sinner is saved at the time of water baptism. Is this a common belief in anabaptist churches.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Of Baptism

Post by Josh »

It is not a common belief. German Baptists sort of believe this.

Followers of the Way in Boston has a very strong belief in this, to the point they think most Mennonite aren't saved due if they weren't fully immersed nor saved during instruction class.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:It is not a common belief. German Baptists sort of believe this.

Followers of the Way in Boston has a very strong belief in this, to the point they think most Mennonite aren't saved due if they weren't fully immersed nor saved during instruction class.
You are kidding here, right? Did they get this from the Church of Christ or something?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Shoesnsocks
Affiliation:

Post by Shoesnsocks »

What's instruction class?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

You are kidding here, right? Did they get this from the Church of Christ or something?

J.M.
I'm not kidding. My theory is that for it from their CoC or ICoC roots.

Amongst FotW's plans is to set up churches in every city and recruit existing Anabaptists to help plan them provided they accept "correct doctrine" of salvation and marriage.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Shoesnsocks wrote:What's instruction class?
Typically Mennonites have a class ranging from 3 months to a year where one learns about various Christian doctrines and applications of them, basically what the church expects of you, before you join and are baptised. Mennonites typically believe Jesus saves us, that salvation is a free gift we can have just for asking Jesus for it, and that baptism is an outward symbol of joining the church and of how Jesus has already been washing the new believer of his sins.

German Baptists do a much briefer period (a few weeks), and whilst they believe baptism does wash away sins they also grant that there is a divine grace and mystery in God being willing to save the honest seeker during this time.

Apostolic Pentecostals believe you aren't saved - no exceptions - until you go under the water and come back up. So they usually have a tank of water in the church house somewhere ready to go at all times.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Seems to me, the Amish believe this as well-which they are Anabaptists?

It is because when Jesus used the terminology "Born Again of Water and of the Spirit" it became common teaching that is referring to Baptism (the water) and then receiving the Holy Spirit, at one's baptism- thus born of 'water and the spirit- born again.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:Followers of the Way in Boston has a very strong belief in this, to the point they think most Mennonite aren't saved due if they weren't fully immersed nor saved during instruction class.
In other words, if you were baptized as an unbeliever, you should be rebaptized?
I believe this as well.

I was never immersed but they invite me to preach and commune there anyhow. This causes consternation for a few of the members but this has not even been a point of discussion between the leadership and myself. There are others in their church who have not been immersed who are treated similarly to me by the leadership.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:

Seems to me, the Amish believe this as well-which they are Anabaptists?

It is because when Jesus used the terminology "Born Again of Water and of the Spirit" it became common teaching that is referring to Baptism (the water) and then receiving the Holy Spirit, at one's baptism- thus born of 'water and the spirit- born again.
The Amish view on salvation is different enough that the question "At what exact moment are you saved?" doesn't make sense.
Salvation is more of a future event.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:Followers of the Way in Boston has a very strong belief in this, to the point they think most Mennonite aren't saved due if they weren't fully immersed nor saved during instruction class.
In other words, if you were baptized as an unbeliever, you should be rebaptized?
I believe this as well.

I was never immersed but they invite me to preach and commune there anyhow. This causes consternation for a few of the members but this has not even been a point of discussion between the leadership and myself. There are others in their church who have not been immersed who are treated similarly to me by the leadership.
I suspect you are treated this way due to being an ethnic Anabaptist in good standing.

I was also not aware FOTW has any defined leadership. According to Milioni they have not appointed anyone.
0 x