The Mennonite Hotdog Thread!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

My favorite hotdog condiments are:

Total votes: 0

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Mennonite Hotdog Thread!

Post by steve-in-kville »

I watch a lot of food reviews on youtube, plus I work in the food industry, so I'm always open to hear how other people enjoy their food and what they prefer. I've noticed that most folks in Pennsylvania Dutch Country don't put much beyond the basics on a hotdog, while others from outside the area slather everything on.

Vote for all that applies!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: The Mennonite Hotdog Thread!

Post by Szdfan »

I’m open to a lot of things on my hotdogs, but my absolute favorite is mustard. My ketchup-loving children make fun of me.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Szdfan wrote:I’m open to a lot of things on my hotdogs, but my absolute favorite is mustard. My ketchup-loving children make fun of me.
I'll take some spicy brown mustard over ketchup any day.

Its funny how a simple hotdog can vary by region. I learned that a Chicago hotdog is always served with a dill pickle on the bun. Not sure what area, but an all-meat chili is the go-to topping for a 'dog.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I didn't mention mustard because I don't care for the commercial varieties. I like it when I mix some up with mustard powder.

But hamburgers are much better than hotdogs!
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

Well I am glad to see this thread is about hot dogs, the kind you eat, and not hot dog as in the slang for a show off.

I eat my hot dogs as open faced sandwiches. I use a hearty multi-grain bread, cut the slices in half longways and split the hot dogs longways, then lay a half dog on each half slice and top it generously with ketchup and minced onion.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Beef hot dogs from America are okay. Ingredients vary in other locations though, with resulting changes in texture and taste. The ones I had in the Frankfurt airport lounge were the wurst.

One more topping that should have been in the poll: Cheese. Either sliced or shredded.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ohio jones wrote:Beef hot dogs from America are okay. Ingredients vary in other locations though, with resulting changes in texture and taste. The ones I had in the Frankfurt airport lounge were the wurst.

One more topping that should have been in the poll: Cheese. Either sliced or shredded.
The frankfurter I had in the Frankfurt airport were fine.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sure, the frankfurters are. Just not the hot dogs.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Szdfan wrote:I’m open to a lot of things on my hotdogs, but my absolute favorite is mustard. My ketchup-loving children make fun of me.
I'll take some spicy brown mustard over ketchup any day.

Its funny how a simple hotdog can vary by region. I learned that a Chicago hotdog is always served with a dill pickle on the bun. Not sure what area, but an all-meat chili is the go-to topping for a 'dog.
The area where I live has a little greasy spoon called Texas Hot. They have a special recipe meat sauce they put on their hotdogs. People around here rave about them but I when I tried them I thought they tasted kinda gross. I think I'd prefer an all meat chili topping.
I think Cincinnati might be a place that tops their hotdogs with chili.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

ohio jones wrote: One more topping that should have been in the poll: Cheese. Either sliced or shredded.
Excellent idea! I will have to try that next time I have hot dogs. Yesterday I actually sort of did that as I had 5 sausage links and made a sandwich, but to ensure they don't just roll out, i laid a slice of cheese over them and ran it through the microwave to melt it in. It was delicious!
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.