Conservative Anabaptists and Birth Control

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Conservative Anabaptists and Birth Control

Post by Josh »

Wade wrote:
Josh wrote:In biblical times, having lots of children was viewed as a sign of wealth and also of being blessed by the gods, much like having much gold, goats, sheep, land, wives, etc

It seems for a kingdom believer our blessings are not measured in earthly riches (including big families), but in treasures store up in heaven. God's heart seems to be most aligned with the orphan, the widow, the poor. Comparatively, those with wealth he issued strong warnings to, particularly in the New Testament. Wealth is no longer really seen as a blessing at all in the NT, but rather as a responsibility.
I wonder what you are implying?
When we were having our fifth child, we missed a lot of Sunday services only because we couldn't afford to go. Meanwhile our family was a small one in comparison to others in the church. Would you have thought it wiser for us to have used birth control (which we couldn't afford at the time either) and try to be more certain we could make it to church?
How can we know what hard or good times might come?
And
Where do think the kingdom of God is?
I am saying that if you have a large family, you are quite wealthy.

As far as missing church (of which I am guilty as well), the norm was for church to be with other believers you lived near. Commuting an hour to church is a modern, 21st century luxury good.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

steve-in-kville wrote:In reply to the above threads.... as I mentioned in the past, my wife and I have been blessed with a large family. Yes, things have been rough financially, but we made it work. It hasn't been a bed of roses at all times. This being said:

1) You don't need to live in a $350,000 house. Even if daddy bought it for (which is often the case), its a bad testimony.

2) You don't need a new pick-up truck every three years.

3) Your wife doesn't need a fancy SUV to drive around, either.

4) Same goes for the boats, 4-wheelers and antique farm tractors. They are just toys.

What do you think God wants? Restrict the size of your family so you can afford to live in luxury? Or restrict your luxuries so you can afford your family?
I should of clarified in my posts that where I'm located very modest homes are 900K+ at the least, which is what I was referring to when I originally posted about financially being able to afford more children. I agree with you Steve, if I could move somewhere more affordable with the plainest of plain houses, a old car that gets the job done, no fancy toys, no luxuries, I would be happy as a clam. The only problem I'm finding is it's a lot easier said than done to just move across the country. God has a plan for me though and I trust he will guide me towards it.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Haystack wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:In reply to the above threads.... as I mentioned in the past, my wife and I have been blessed with a large family. Yes, things have been rough financially, but we made it work. It hasn't been a bed of roses at all times. This being said:

1) You don't need to live in a $350,000 house. Even if daddy bought it for (which is often the case), its a bad testimony.

4) Same goes for the boats, 4-wheelers and antique farm tractors. They are just toys.

What do you think God wants? Restrict the size of your family so you can afford to live in luxury? Or restrict your luxuries so you can afford your family?
I should of clarified in my posts that where I'm located very modest homes are 900K+ at the least, which is what I was referring to when I originally posted about financially being able to afford more children. I agree with you Steve, if I could move somewhere more affordable with the plainest of plain houses, a old car that gets the job done, no fancy toys, no luxuries, I would be happy as a clam. The only problem I'm finding is it's a lot easier said than done to just move across the country. God has a plan for me though and I trust he will guide me towards it.
It isn't so hard moving across country from our experience as much as it is hard choosing where? He does have a plan!
0 x
Haystack

Post by Haystack »

Wade wrote:It isn't so hard moving across country from our experience as much as it is hard choosing where? He does have a plan!
I think the hardest part is lining up a job while not physically being there. A lot of places want to meet face to face, but moving somewhere new, where you don't know anyone, without finding a job first would be less than ideal.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Haystack wrote:
Wade wrote:It isn't so hard moving across country from our experience as much as it is hard choosing where? He does have a plan!
I think the hardest part is lining up a job while not physically being there. A lot of places want to meet face to face, but moving somewhere new, where you don't know anyone, without finding a job first would be less than ideal.
We did find a job first with just a phone interview and then we moved cross country.
Then when we moved back across country again it was without a job and not enough money for fuel to make it half way back... We ran in to a bunch of trouble but yet God provided in many unexpected ways and we made it.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Haystack wrote:

Yeah. Those of us who live and work in urban areas have to face higher housing costs, where I am, a 350,000 will get you a plain split level with no land. For some of us, who have skills that are useless outside of an urban area, we simply have adjust expenses to meet salary. With my wife's aging mother, we really would not have the option to move.

No one size fits all answer here.

Blessings,

J.M.

P.S.Once, I had to find a job stateside when I had lived overseas for three years, totally by email and telephone (8 hours time difference). The Lord did provide, and I was hired sight unseen. The Lord can provide, and move to help his people in time of need.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Haystack wrote:I should of clarified in my posts that where I'm located very modest homes are 900K+ at the least, which is what I was referring to when I originally posted about financially being able to afford more children. I agree with you Steve, if I could move somewhere more affordable with the plainest of plain houses, a old car that gets the job done, no fancy toys, no luxuries, I would be happy as a clam.
I admit to being a serial cross-threader. Here's a clamshell (and there are more where this came from, though this appears to be one of the better ones) for about 1% of the price in your area. Just think of all the children you could afford, maybe even more than could fit inside. :idea:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
Haystack wrote:I should of clarified in my posts that where I'm located very modest homes are 900K+ at the least, which is what I was referring to when I originally posted about financially being able to afford more children. I agree with you Steve, if I could move somewhere more affordable with the plainest of plain houses, a old car that gets the job done, no fancy toys, no luxuries, I would be happy as a clam.
I admit to being a serial cross-threader. Here's a clamshell (and there are more where this came from, though this appears to be one of the better ones) for about 1% of the price in your area. Just think of all the children you could afford, maybe even more than could fit inside. :idea:
real estate hat now? :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Haystack

Post by Haystack »

ohio jones wrote:
OJ in his finest form :lol:
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Large families are awesome and I can't imagine not having even one of my children or children to be that God intends me to have.

Economy and money are pretty silly excuses in my opinion. Rice and beans are cheap... Scratch and dents stores are cheap. Thrifts stores are cheap. Economical cars are cheap. Health insurance is the same for yourself+spouse, than a bit is added for "children" (unspecified amount between 1 to ?).

This is my opinion on the matter, but we all stand before God on judgment day.
0 x