Women in the workplace?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Women in the workplace?

Post by temporal1 »

QuietObserver wrote:
CorneliaH wrote:
mike wrote:I would encourage no one to go after making money instead of having children if presented with both options. You would potentially miss out on one of the greatest blessings of life. Most if not all conservative Mennonite churches would probably say the same thing.
True. The Mennonites have always put childbearing in front of most everything else. Growing up Anabaptist, I was never sure why... given St. Paul clearly says the single life with no children in service of God is superior.
This is a fair point. Something I wonder about is, what if a married couple decided to forego having children. Instead, they could move to the inner-city and mentor and nurture children and teens in need. I realize God's design is to have children, but is it his will in every situation. No exceptions?
If you haven’t, you might find Shaker history interesting.

These folks really-really focused on celibacy as the higher path.
If i recall, even married couples lived separately, families were divided, males and females.
They held strong scriptural beliefs about this.

They had some interesting accomplishments, they were hard workers, capable and resourceful.
but, as a group, they have all but disappeared.
i have not read anything recently, their story is not fresh on my mind. There has been a little discussion in the past - i found 2 MN threads, probably others were on MD:

“Shakers: Now there are two”
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... aker#p5301

“Standards?”
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ers#p14126
Josh wrote:
Soloist wrote:I'm focusing on lifestyle and theological. There are some verses that churches have formed standard interpretations on namely D/R would be one that comes to mind.
Well, everyone has some kind of standard around this - some accept polygamy, some expect nobody to get married (Shakers), and some are in between those two points.
Kentucky / The Pleasant Hill Shakers
https://shakervillageky.org/history-and-restoration/

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Wages have not increased (overall) in the USA while the cost of living has increased greatly. Many families cannot afford to only have one income-earner even if that is what they would wish. Society has changed in many ways, and this is one of them. For many people (mothers or fathers) they would prefer to stay at home and care for their children, but that simply isn't possible for a lot of them.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

francis wrote:Wages have not increased (overall) in the USA while the cost of living has increased greatly. Many families cannot afford to only have one income-earner even if that is what they would wish. Society has changed in many ways, and this is one of them. For many people (mothers or fathers) they would prefer to stay at home and care for their children, but that simply isn't possible for a lot of them.
And yet, the vast majority of conservative Mennonite, Amish, and other Anabaptist households survive comfortably on a single income. You are accurately describing what today's society believes generally, but this is not the case within conservative Anabaptist communities.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

mike wrote:
francis wrote:Wages have not increased (overall) in the USA while the cost of living has increased greatly. Many families cannot afford to only have one income-earner even if that is what they would wish. Society has changed in many ways, and this is one of them. For many people (mothers or fathers) they would prefer to stay at home and care for their children, but that simply isn't possible for a lot of them.
And yet, the vast majority of conservative Mennonite, Amish, and other Anabaptist households survive comfortably on a single income. You are accurately describing what today's society believes generally, but this is not the case within conservative Anabaptist communities.
What Mike said is true. I do think Plain People take for granted the support (financial, moral, etc) that we get from our families, churches, social connections. Many people don't enjoy such advantages. I think we judge too harshly without realizing the enormous advantages we enjoy.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:
And yet, the vast majority of conservative Mennonite, Amish, and other Anabaptist households survive comfortably on a single income. :D

You are accurately describing what today's society believes generally, but this is not the case within conservative Anabaptist communities.
i believe :mrgreen: .. “believes” is the operative word in mike’s observation.

often, simply trading “some material choices” for the choice to stay home is all that’s required.
examples: keep the family car longer, don’t buy every new techy gadget, simpler wardrobes, home haircuts, home cooking, free/inexpensive entertainment, short local vacations, etc.

unfortunately, i also believe, if libs are successful at pushing free-cheap gov subsidized childcare, choices for parents to stay home will be reduced, if not eliminated. not that there will be a law for women to work! it’s trickier than that: the resulting financial incentives will tip the scales, traditional families will lose.

i was pleasantly surprised when my daughter stayed home, she found lots of other stay at home mothers! this is encouraging. it’s not the typical mainstream script. the mainstream chooses
“the dialogue,” has no interest in balanced or full representation.

i’m not impressed enough with “the mainstream” to want to allow them that much influence in “everyone’s” lives. they have not earned that privilege. :-|

0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: often, simply trading “some material choices” for the choice to stay home is all that’s required.
examples: keep the family car longer, don’t buy every new techy gadget, simpler wardrobes, home haircuts, home cooking, free/inexpensive entertainment, short local vacations, etc.
I agree with this 100%. We have a large family, most likely twice as large as what a typical American would consider large. And (not to brag on my wife and I) we've done it on half the income people think we should have. You'd be shocked how well a family can get by with one vehicle. Or how far you can stretch the grocery budget.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This isn’t specific to women working outside the home, but, i think it relates to the general topic??
Today, lots of conservative wives work outside the home. DJT has appointed many women in his administration. (Proof, to me, women can be professional and effective without being angry, caustic, and bitter.)

“NY Times runs piece saying the ‘happiest of all’ American wives are ‘religious conservatives.’
Social media loses its mind.“

https://www.theblaze.com/news/ny-times- ... tive-wives
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:
temporal1 wrote: often, simply trading “some material choices” for the choice to stay home is all that’s required.
I agree with this 100%. We have a large family, most likely twice as large as what a typical American would consider large. And (not to brag on my wife and I) we've done it on half the income people think we should have. You'd be shocked how well a family can get by with one vehicle. Or how far you can stretch the grocery budget.
A good example of how media chooses A narrative and pushes it, without attempting to report in balance. Not just media, but, it’s a giant problem with media.

When the 2007 bank fails happened, the world had been so materialistic for so long!
In many ways, imho, the bank fails HELPED get young people thinking “better.”
Yuppies faded.
Lots of young people traded consumerism for more minimalism.
i noticed it in my family and with their friends. thankfully so.

In my area, rich farmland was being eaten up/devoured with subdivision development.
That slowed ‘way down! :shock:
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote:Lots of young people traded consumerism for more minimalism.
i noticed it in my family and with their friends. thankfully so.
My wife and I often joke that we were minimalists before it was "the in thing." :D 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/