Gelassenheit: Your definitions? Your praxis?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Gelassenheit: Your definitions? Your praxis?

Post by MaxPC »

How would you, as an Anabaptist, define Gelassenheit?

Is this an emphasized characteristic within your own fellowship?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Gelassenheit: Your definitions? Your praxis?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I heard this term often enough but never looked it up. Here is a copy from the first hit I got when I did:

An important part of Amish life is Gelassenheit (German pronunciation: [ɡəˈlas.ən.haɪ̯t]), yieldedness, letting be, or submission to the will of God (in modern German approximately: composure, tranquility, serenity). This concept derives from the Bible when Jesus said, "not my will but thine be done,"[8] thereby making individuality, selfishness, and pride, abhorrent; see humility. "He submits to Christ, loses his own will, and yields (Gelassenheit) himself in all areas."[9] Serving others and submitting to God, therefore, permeates all aspects of Amish life. A person’s personality must be modest, reserved, calm, and quiet. The values which must be apparent in a believer’s actions are submission, obedience, humility and simplicity. Gelassenheit should be the overriding aspect for every person within the Amish community, and it must be viewable through actions and possessions.[10] Lamentations 3:26 "quietly wait," "in the Froschauer [German] Bible reads 'in Gelassenheit' (instead of quietly) – one probable Biblical reference that helped to establish this important 'Anabaptist term.'"[11]
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

First thing that comes to mind... I have a co-worker who's dad just found out he has extensive cancer of the intestines. He was hospitalized for a week, they removed what they could, but he refused further treatment and requested to be taken home to be with his family. Its a matter of weeks at this point.

Would this be an example?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I wish there were a good English word to capture this concept.

By the way, in modern German, the term means “serenity”.

Wayne in Maine calls a similar concept “wiping the slate clean” or “emptying yourself”. Perhaps he’d do a guest post on the topic.
0 x
Gelassenheit
Affiliation:

Post by Gelassenheit »

The first time I heard this term was from Bro. Denny Kenaston. I found it very helpful. Here is a link:
http://charitychristianfellowship.org/s ... s/4044.mp3
0 x
Hebrews 10:24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds..
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

I always understood Gelassenheit to mean humility and submission. I recently listened to a sermon by Frank Reed on the Holy Spirit. He explained it from a little different angle. He spoke with some German speakers, and his understanding of Gelassenheit is contentment and a deep peace. I may be butchering what he said.

I appreciate Frank's teaching. Here's the link if you wish to listen for yourself.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote:I wish there were a good English word to capture this concept.

By the way, in modern German, the term means “serenity”.

Wayne in Maine calls a similar concept “wiping the slate clean” or “emptying yourself”. Perhaps he’d do a guest post on the topic.
We had some long discussions on Gelassenheit on the old Menno Discuss. It is a hard word to define even for German speakers. Yieldedness or submission or "letting go" are the simplest definitions. Ultimately it is yieldedness to God but it is expressed by yielding to the church, to the ordnung and to those who are in authority over you. Different Anabaptist groups also emphasize different nuances of the term, and different circumstances effect our understanding of the use of the word. The Anabaptists Martyrs experienced Gelassenheit as they were imprisoned, tortured and consigned to the flames. A Hutterite man experiences Gelassenheit by surrendering himself to complete posessionlesness. An Amish woman expresses Gelassenheit by submitting to her husband and not pursuing personal liberation.

Of course the mental and emotional state of the submissive one is another important aspect: contentment, a sense of security, or even, as Dan Z once expressed, a winsomeness. It is not a concept that fits well into a gospel of personal salvation because it must be lived in a tangible way where you give up control of your life to the community. In the end it is something better experienced than explained.

It is the joy that comes of emptying oneself of one's self. My personal best experience of this was when I lived at the Bruderhof where I had none o my own possessions anymore and I to do what the brotherhood wanted and needed me to do with my life, not what I wanted to do. That required dying to myself every day, and it was worth it.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Gelassenheit wrote:The first time I heard this term was from Bro. Denny Kenaston. I found it very helpful. Here is a link:
http://charitychristianfellowship.org/s ... s/4044.mp3
His message was not the first time I was introduced to the word- but his message really helped me understand it in a deeper way- more applicable way-

Thanks for sharing what I was about to share too! It is worth a listen.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This is very helpful everyone. A question for Wayne:

While I was reading the various meanings it strikes me that the "serenity" of which the German speaks has two possible sources. Wayne, would it fit to say that in Gelassenheit/serenity is something that comes from within, as chosen by the disciple as an act of faith and trust in God?

The world's idea of serenity comes from without and the Christian ideal comes from within?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Serenity is a modern (20th century) meaning. I’m not sure what the meaning was back in the 1500s, outside of Anabaptist usage. It has become an Anabaptist religious term.
1 x