Are there any Anabaptist Networks to help single mothers?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Are there any Anabaptist Networks to help single mothers?

Post by Chris »

Looking for any pre-established Anabaptist networks that provide help for single mothers? Our church has a want to start a ministry like this and would like to pick somebody's brain with a plethora of questions.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Are there any Anabaptist Networks to help single mothers?

Post by Josh »

What kind of help are you hoping to provide?
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Any.

:)

Namely I want to provide non-scarlet letter help. Not to treat them as tainted. We all sin. But rather help them who chose to be brave and not abort their babies. Many single moms face a lot of problems... It varies... But just consider -

Leaky pipe? Fix.
Roof shingles flapping over? Fix.
Some car repairs? Fix.

Perhaps bring jr. out to fly a kit with your children? Perhaps be a mentor role model to their children? Canoe trips? Even to the level of providing temp housing (outside of your home if you have the means).

I'm going to give a thought on abortion in another thread.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In the evangelical world and particularly the liberal Christianity world, a great deal of focus goes into helping "single mothers". I think it's a bit misplaced, and the fruit isn't particuarly good. I spent years in a liberal Christian setting supporting this kind of ministry and it did zip to bring anyone closer to Christ or to promote healthy, godly sexual morality.

I think we should focus on people - adults - regardless of their situations. And I think men are the most neglected in terms of ministry right now; but they aren't very glamorous to reach out to and they usually don't have cute babies or kids with them. And there's no feel-good that you get when you can convince yourself you "stopped abortions".
0 x
Chris

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote:In the evangelical world and particularly the liberal Christianity world, a great deal of focus goes into helping "single mothers". I think it's a bit misplaced, and the fruit isn't particuarly good. I spent years in a liberal Christian setting supporting this kind of ministry and it did zip to bring anyone closer to Christ or to promote healthy, godly sexual morality.

I think we should focus on people - adults - regardless of their situations. And I think men are the most neglected in terms of ministry right now; but they aren't very glamorous to reach out to and they usually don't have cute babies or kids with them. And there's no feel-good that you get when you can convince yourself you "stopped abortions".
I would feel absolutely overjoyed if I was able to stop an abortion! I do agree that men are neglected certainly. The thing is that the single mom would need to realize her sin (and her sin is not the baby, but her fornication). What if she were really willing to repent of the sin in front of the church and ask for forgiveness? What if she was truly willing to convert to Jesus? I think that would be a positive as well.

Sometimes these things happen as we brush shoulders with people to bring them to Christ slowly. Over years of helping somebody they may wonder "why do you do this for me?". We can tell them because Jesus loves them.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

this is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but check this out.

http://www.newhorizonsministries.net/
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Chris wrote:
Josh wrote:In the evangelical world and particularly the liberal Christianity world, a great deal of focus goes into helping "single mothers". I think it's a bit misplaced, and the fruit isn't particuarly good. I spent years in a liberal Christian setting supporting this kind of ministry and it did zip to bring anyone closer to Christ or to promote healthy, godly sexual morality.

I would feel absolutely overjoyed if I was able to stop an abortion! I do agree that men are neglected certainly. The thing is that the single mom would need to realize her sin (and her sin is not the baby, but her fornication). What if she were really willing to repent of the sin in front of the church and ask for forgiveness? What if she was truly willing to convert to Jesus? I think that would be a positive as well.

Sometimes these things happen as we brush shoulders with people to bring them to Christ slowly. Over years of helping somebody they may wonder "why do you do this for me?". We can tell them because Jesus loves them.
This is SO important and IS Kingdom work- I love this. Thank you
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Another positive action story of working to save the children.
"Tragedy drives man to give 'haven' to thousands of babies"
LEVITTOWN, N.Y. – To untold numbers of children, he's simply Uncle Tim.

Nearly 3,300 babies across the country who otherwise might have been abandoned and perhaps died have found homes in the past 17 years, thanks in part to the efforts of Tim Jaccard, a retired New York police ambulance medic who grew weary of responding to calls of dead infants abandoned in trash cans and alleys.

"To hold a newborn infant in your arms and have to pronounce that child dead is heart-wrenching," said the 66-year-old father and grandfather from Long Island. "My gut feeling was that I was being sent on these particular calls to try and see what's going on and change it. I had to stop this insanity."...
Link
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I'm loving this thread!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?