Pecking order, social standing and status within Plain Mennonites

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Re: Pecking order, social standing and status within Plain Mennonites

Post by YorkandAdams »

Ernie wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:If you look at the number of youth who leave eastern and other ultra-conservative groups, you can see that the number is significantly larger than churches "downstream".
This statement makes me curious as the growth percentages the last 20 years do not reflect this. Look at the percentage figures underneath ultra's, intermediates, and moderates, in this article.

https://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/up ... -01-11.pdf
I should first start off by saying this is based largely off my observations, deductive reasoning, and conversations with ministry in the ultra-conservative setting. It might be wrong or biased, as my interaction with the brackets on the less conservative side of the scale has been less then the ultra and intermediate brackets. I will try my best to articulate why I made the statement that I did.

I believe the number of youth "officially" leaving the ultra-conservatives are both greater in percentage and number than the other groups. The key to this statement is both the definition of leaving and the definition of youth (for simplicities sake, let's classify youth as unmarried 16-22 year olds). I have taken the meaning of leaving to be the withdrawing of membership (as official transfer to a less conservative bracket is rare)/having it taken away for not being a faithful member. While most youth in the non-ultra-conservative circles are comfortable enough to at least keep their membership in the church where they grew up (at least till they get married), the severe differences in application between the ultra-conservatives and the rest of the brackets means the youth in these churches who do not have similar opinions to the church are forced to actually make a decision to leave (and solidify their status as not being in harmony with the church they grew up in). The other part of this equation is that the administration style in these churches will not usually tolerate the level of dissent that say a moderate church might (not trying to pick on any group in particular).

While the number of youth who are not in harmony with their churches views/applications and who eventually end up leaving might be just as large in other brackets (or potentially larger), the lessened variation in application between these brackets means that the youth don't necessarily need to make the official change of membership (officially leaving) until later on in life.

If anyone has it, I would be interested in any data showing the ages of those who left the different conservative Mennonite settings.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

YorkandAdams wrote:
Ernie wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:If you look at the number of youth who leave eastern and other ultra-conservative groups, you can see that the number is significantly larger than churches "downstream".
This statement makes me curious as the growth percentages the last 20 years do not reflect this. Look at the percentage figures underneath ultra's, intermediates, and moderates, in this article.

https://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/up ... -01-11.pdf
I should first start off by saying this is based largely off my observations, deductive reasoning, and conversations with ministry in several different settings. It might be wrong or biased, as my interaction with the brackets on the less conservative side of the scale has been less then the ultra and intermediate brackets. I will try my best to articulate why I made the statement that I did.

I believe the number of youth "officially" leaving the ultra-conservatives are both greater in percentage and number than the other groups. The key to this statement is both the definition of leaving and the definition of youth (for simplicities sake, let's classify youth as unmarried 16-22 year olds). I have taken the meaning of leaving to be the withdrawing of membership (as official transfer to a less conservative bracket is rare)/having it taken away for not being a faithful member. While most youth in the non-ultra-conservative circles are comfortable enough to at least keep their membership in the church where they grew up (at least till they get married), the severe differences in application between the ultra-conservatives and the rest of the brackets means the youth in these churches who do not have similar opinions to the church are forced to actually make a decision to leave (and solidify their status as not being in harmony with the church they grew up in). The other part of this equation is that the administration style in these churches will not usually tolerate the level of dissent that say a moderate church might (not trying to pick on any group in particular).

While the number of youth who are not in harmony with their churches views/applications and who eventually end up leaving might be just as large in other brackets (or potentially larger), the lessened variation in application between these brackets means that the youth don't necessarily need to make the official change of membership (officially leaving) until later on in life.

If anyone has it, I would be interested in any data showing the ages of those who left the different conservative Mennonite settings.
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

Having grown up in the EPMC, York & Adam’s post reminded me of a certain ‘Council Meeting’ from my boyhood days, when a friend my age at that time gave his testimony in these words, “I pledge my allegiance to the Eastern Church and agree to uphold Her standards.” :angel
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not to pick on EPMC, or any group for that matter, I have seen some trends over the years. I've seen many EPMC young folks leave to attend Pilgrim or Hope, and most usually stay there.

Weaverland (Hornings) typically rush to KMF. Whats funny about that, in the past few years, KMF had a high turnover (in my area) and lost many to BMA, and even the more conservative COB and splinter groups. People leave KMF only to be replaced by ex-Hornings that want more freedoms.

The entire Charity franchise also plays into this as well. About 20 years ago, Charity was the "go to" place for anyone who was not happy with their current fellowship. Sadly, most of those folks got discouraged and moved on and I'm convinced they can't be happy anywhere.

Of course, you always have those that go "off the reservation" entirely.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!