John Howard Yoder, Mennonites, #metoo, and The Politics of Jesus

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

John Howard Yoder, Mennonites, #metoo, and The Politics of Jesus

Post by ragpicker »

I don't understand how so many people give such high credibility to JHY's understanding of the Politics of Jesus. His thought processes directly led also to what could be fairly called the Sexuality of Jesus. He promoted, using Jesus' relationships at times, a sexuality that redefined terminology to justify sexual acts (as long as it wasn't completed) with single women. Etc.

Can someone explain to me how his thought processes on the Politics of Jesus were sound while his thought processes on the Sexuality of Jesus were so devilish? I don't understand. To clarify, some people have made great contributions to society while having major flaws. I get that. But that's not the case here. Yoder's theology and thought processes were, according to his own words, the foundation for both of his largest contributions.

You cannot, as I understand it, honestly divorce either of his two largest contributions from his foundational philosophy, theology, and thinking, and therefore you cannot divorce them from each other. Yet some people do. My question specifically, what is the rationale for this divorcement?
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: John Howard Yoder, Mennonites, #metoo, and The Politics of Jesus

Post by Bootstrap »

I don't hear much about John Howard Yoder now, the people I know who were avid fans have moved on to other writers. Bonhoeffer is popular with some, Richard Hays, William Willimon, and Stanley Hauerwas are also popular. I think Yoder was largely discredited before the current #metoo movement.

I had a pastor who was convinced that John Howard Yoder was the guy who could really articulate Mennonite theology, but I never found his writings all that helpful. I think he made simple things more complicated than they needed to be and I never grasped his approach to biblical interpretation. The Politics of Jesus is not a book I found helpful.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

Bootstrap wrote:...I never found his writings all that helpful. I think he made simple things more complicated than they needed to be and I never grasped his approach to biblical interpretation. The Politics of Jesus is not a book I found helpful.
That was my understanding of your position. I respect you for that.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I've read some JHYs work (before his exposure as a sexual predator) and found some of it helpful. I especially appreciated his booklet "What Would You Do." I found his "Politics of Jesus" book was a bit obtuse for me, but thoughtful nonetheless.

I will say this - sexual sin is seldom the result of rational thought. More often it is rationalized after the fact. I suspect this is the case with JHY. What I mean is that I doubt his theology or worldview led to his sexual deviancy - more likely, his sexual deviancy influenced his theology or worldview as he worked at lessening the dissonance between his beliefs and his actions.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ragpicker wrote:...You cannot, as I understand it, honestly divorce either of his two largest contributions from his foundational philosophy, theology, and thinking, and therefore you cannot divorce them from each other. Yet some people do. My question specifically, what is the rationale for this divorcement?
People do it with President Trump all the time. Conservative people especially. Even Christian people. So why not Yoder?
0 x
ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

lesterb wrote:
ragpicker wrote:...You cannot, as I understand it, honestly divorce either of his two largest contributions from his foundational philosophy, theology, and thinking, and therefore you cannot divorce them from each other. Yet some people do. My question specifically, what is the rationale for this divorcement?
People do it with President Trump all the time. Conservative people especially. Even Christian people. So why not Yoder?
If you want political discussions there’s places elsewhere for that on here. Do you have anything of value to add to the conversation?
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ragpicker wrote:
lesterb wrote:
If you want political discussions there’s places elsewhere for that on here. Do you have anything of value to add to the conversation?
I tend to agree with you. I could hardly help saying that given our little exchange on Facebook recently.

I would probably read a book by Yoder simply for what I could learn from it but I lost any respect I might have had for him when I learned about his moral problems. Especially when he tried to justify them.

So carry on. I'll be good.
0 x
ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

lesterb wrote: I could hardly help saying that given our little exchange on Facebook recently.
You will have to refresh my memory...
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.