REACH 2017

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: REACH 2017

Post by Hats Off »

So you work at PaulBs - otherwise known as Zimmies! I am sure I know some of your co-workers - can't just think of any names right now.
0 x
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

Jazman wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Wish I could have met more of you, but did have some good conversation with EdselB and Ernie and other acquaintances and some colleagues that I work with at PaulB's as well! (and didn't know I would be at REACH) I appreciated the theme of spreading and living the holistic Gospel of Christ that seemed to permeate the ministry focus sessions and break-out sessions.
I really, really enjoyed Leroy Hershberger's "story-time" and I put it in quotes because it was much more than just a story. For me it encapsulated the gaping difference between conservative/OO Anabaptists and american protestanism or american culture for that matter. Most christians I know would take that money without a thought of refusing. I'm not sure I could refuse either, but it was a good question to ponder.
I saw pictures on Facebook that Leroy Hershberger was there telling stories! I'm sure that was a treat. The staff and their families of the school where I teach had the privilege of spending an evening at his parents' home just a week or two ago. We were all suppose to share about a book we were reading or had read that had or was impacting us. Leroy was there as well and entertained us with a book he had recently read as well. It was called "Lights Out" and the author made a case why electric lighting is bad for the human race. Of course, to hear him tell about it was quite amusing but a compelling case as well.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:While short, black jacket here

J.M.
you should stand out with white shorts and black jacket!
Did he ever!

Just kidding.
I am all thumbs when typing on an phone. Had I really dressed than way, I would likely have gotten a visit from my bishop.

Just to let you know, I immensely enjoyed REACH, and believe I was taught and challenged.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Jazman wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Wish I could have met more of you, but did have some good conversation with EdselB and Ernie and other acquaintances and some colleagues that I work with at PaulB's as well! (and didn't know I would be at REACH) I appreciated the theme of spreading and living the holistic Gospel of Christ that seemed to permeate the ministry focus sessions and break-out sessions.
I really, really enjoyed Leroy Hershberger's "story-time" and I put it in quotes because it was much more than just a story. For me it encapsulated the gaping difference between conservative/OO Anabaptists and american protestanism or american culture for that matter. Most christians I know would take that money without a thought of refusing. I'm not sure I could refuse either, but it was a good question to ponder.
My brother gambles, and frequently approaches my with a "bright idea" for winning money some way or another. He should know better, I have never bought into the crazy ideas of his, but sometimes wondered what it would be like to have a million dollars.....

I googled the fate of such winners, and it is not pretty, most are far worse off after their "big win." Their life changes, but not for the better. It made me more secure in my refusals.

When all is said and done, the deacon made a good and logical choice. God is better served, and our lives more pleasing to Him without the money. Great lesson.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Hats Off wrote: you should stand out with white shorts and black jacket!
Did he ever!

Just kidding.
I am all thumbs when typing on an phone. Had I really dressed than way, I would likely have gotten a visit from my bishop.

Just to let you know, I immensely enjoyed REACH, and believe I was taught and challenged.

J.M.
I was sure I read you wrong - but was trying to get my post count up and also like to see what response I get. I really wanted to take in REACH but couldn't afford to take the time off this year.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Ernie wrote: Did he ever!

Just kidding.

J.M.
I was sure I read you wrong - but was trying to get my post count up and also like to see what response I get. I really wanted to take in REACH but couldn't afford to take the time off this year.
Same here. I kind of wish it ran over a Saturday.
0 x