Who "owns" the Conservative Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Who "owns" the Conservative Anabaptists?

Post by Bootstrap »

Request: Until Friday, I would like responses only from Conservative Anabaptists and moderators. I will not respond until Friday either to make room for them to respond.

I think most of us on MennoNet really appreciate the Conservative Anabaptists and are glad they are here.

But sometimes I get the feeling that people who are not Conservative Anabaptist are speaking on their behalf, as though they were experts on Conservative Anabaptism or had been asked to serve as their representatives. And I also get the feeling that for many newcomers, it would be hard to distinguish Conservative Anabaptists from some people who may have rarely even been in a Conservative Anabaptist setting.

Do other people get the same feeling? I would really like to learn more about Conservative Anabaptism from the Conservative Anabaptists. I'd also like to hear fewer opinions about Conservative Anabaptism from everyone else - why not ask questions that they can answer instead? I find it especially ironic when someone who is not at all Mennonite / Anabaptist starts lecturing a Conservative Anabaptist for not being Conservative Anabaptist enough - that has actually happened.

I try to share from my own perspective. If I get that wrong, please let me know.

There's an obvious irony in this post. I am saying what I would like to see, but in some ways I am also speaking for the Conservative Anabaptists. I'd like to hear them weigh in on this.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Re: Who "owns" the Conservative Anabaptists?

Post by Peregrino »

Yes, I get that feeling. That is the primary reason why I am currently using the post blocking option. Rather than get upset, I decided to just ignore and let it be.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

We are owned by God. He created us and redeemed us.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I recently was in a foreign airport and needed information. I was part of a small crowd of people around an understaffed information booth. I ended up getting my answer from another person in the crowd instead of waiting to get to the counter.
Maybe like the that information counter, there are not enough conservative anabaptist able to answer questions, and so the crowd of others provide the answers.
And some in the crowd speak the questioners native language better, and understand the question better, than the person in the booth does.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:Request: Until Friday, I would like responses only from Conservative Anabaptists and moderators. I will not respond until Friday either to make room for them to respond.

I think most of us on MennoNet really appreciate the Conservative Anabaptists and are glad they are here.

But sometimes I get the feeling that people who are not Conservative Anabaptist are speaking on their behalf, as though they were experts on Conservative Anabaptism or had been asked to serve as their representatives. And I also get the feeling that for many newcomers, it would be hard to distinguish Conservative Anabaptists from some people who may have rarely even been in a Conservative Anabaptist setting.

Do other people get the same feeling? I would really like to learn more about Conservative Anabaptism from the Conservative Anabaptists. I'd also like to hear fewer opinions about Conservative Anabaptism from everyone else - why not ask questions that they can answer instead? I find it especially ironic when someone who is not at all Mennonite / Anabaptist starts lecturing a Conservative Anabaptist for not being Conservative Anabaptist enough - that has actually happened.

I try to share from my own perspective. If I get that wrong, please let me know.

There's an obvious irony in this post. I am saying what I would like to see, but in some ways I am also speaking for the Conservative Anabaptists. I'd like to hear them weigh in on this.
I think the reverse is also true however, we Conservative Anabaptists would sometimes do well to reconsider spouting off about our 'expertise' on non-conservatives, whether Anabaptists or otherwise, as well as about other Conservative Anabaptists who are of a different flavor then we are. What goes around, comes around.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Please define "Conservative Anabaptist" in the context of your question.
[What I think you mean: Members of Swiss Brethren groups that wear "conservative clothing" as an expression of their church standards. (Also known as "Plain People".)]
[What you might mean: Members of congregations whose view of Christian life is shaped by the same approach to the Scriptures as that of the Christians of the Reformation period often referred to as "anabaptists".]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:Please define "Conservative Anabaptist" in the context of your question.
[What I think you mean: Members of Swiss Brethren groups that wear "conservative clothing" as an expression of their church standards. (Also known as "Plain People".)]
[What you might mean: Members of congregations whose view of Christian life is shaped by the same approach to the Scriptures as that of the Christians of the Reformation period often referred to as "anabaptists".]
I said I wouldn't respond until Friday, but I'll respond to questions of clarification.

I am not a Conservative Anabaptist, so it is not my label to define, Ernie gave one definition here, with a link to a very helpful PDF that lists various kinds of Conservative Anabaptists: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

If you think you are a Conservative Anabaptist, feel free to respond here. If you think Ernie would disagree, respond here anyway, and explain why you think the label applies to you. If you don't think you are a Conservative Anabaptist, please don't weigh in until Friday.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote:
Neto wrote:Please define "Conservative Anabaptist" in the context of your question.
I said I wouldn't respond until Friday, but I'll respond to questions of clarification.

I am not a Conservative Anabaptist, so it is not my label to define, Ernie gave one definition here, with a link to a very helpful PDF that lists various kinds of Conservative Anabaptists: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147

If you think you are a Conservative Anabaptist, feel free to respond here. If you think Ernie would disagree, respond here anyway, and explain why you think the label applies to you. If you don't think you are a Conservative Anabaptist, please don't weigh in until Friday.
But you are the one who asked the question, so I wanted to know what you specifically meant with the term. But I think I understand now what you mean, so thanks. (I think I'll just listen now.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:Request: Until Friday, I would like responses only from Conservative Anabaptists and moderators. I will not respond until Friday either to make room for them to respond.

So tough to define that many of us who are conservative do not care to dwell on what the limits are ourselves.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Who are the (Conservative) Anabaptists?

Post by Wade »

Distinctive Beliefs of the Anabaptists
- As committed followers of Christ they believed in repentance and salvation was made available only through His death and resurrection.
- With a Christ- centered view they took His Word(the Holy Scriptures) literally and practiced obedience in everyday practical ways. Having Him both Saviour and Lord. Faith and obedience accompanying one another.
- They believed in voluntary church and so rejected infant baptism but rather believers baptism. And with that a missionary zeal in sharing the gospel with others.
- They believed all men are sinful and in need of Christ’s atonement, and with this came a completely devoted life to Him – discipleship. And they did not believe one could live under deliberate sin and still be in God’s grace.
- They believed the church is the body of Christ here on earth and individualism shouldn’t exist in the believing community.
- They believed in the churches ability to have authority and regulate itself and to be pure.
- The church is a sharing spiritual brotherhood where again membership is voluntary, where water baptism unites the believer with the body and brotherhood.
- They believed that any earthly government is distinct and a separate entity from God’s heavenly kingdom.
- They believed and practiced non-resistance -Christ law of love and peace. So they wouldn’t take up arms, use self defense, or passive force.
- They saw ordinances as symbolic spiritual experiences. Not all of these were practiced immediately but the seven ordinances are: Baptism, Communion, Feet washing, Christian woman veiling, Christian salutation, Marriage (not all to be married but that marriage was to be an example of Christ’s exclusiveness in relationship to the Christ(so no divorce and remarriage), Anointing with oil,
- They believed in non-conformity to the world but being conformed to Christ. Plain clothing and no costly attire. Johannes Kessler of ST. Gall said, “Their life was irreproachable. They shunned costly clothing. Their walk and conversation were quite humble.”

This is just a quick overview and in not exhaustive and it is from what I have read from David G. Burkholder’s book, that has the title the same as above.

An enjoyable read and recommended.

To me I would think whoever prescribes to the above is a Christian/Conservative Anabaptist and is no doubt following Christ to a level not found elsewhere and that is why I love them and would like to consider myself one of them.

It seems like to me that overtime some “Anabaptist’s,” have falling away from keeping these believes alive today since some, are conformed to this worlds cloths, homes, jewelry, etc., also vote and partake in government programs and jobs, some are remarried, some don’t practice non-resistance in everyday life being contentious or even going to war, some don't hold the brotherhood, discipleship, and the authority of the church in high regard, plus more...

It seems to me that to be called after any forefathers, one should take on their likeness and it would be unfair to practice things quite different and still call ourselves by their same name, causing confusion to many. So it seems like the term Conservative Anabaptist has come about when rather maybe those that don’t fall into practice and belief with this list should just be called something else and those that do should be called just plain Anabaptist’s... But since that isn't going to happen Conservative Anabaptist's to me just hold more closely to the original Anabaptist's than any others and this is a bit of what the name means to me.
0 x