Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Haystack wrote:
RZehr wrote:
horsegal wrote:A friend is looking for Anabaptist churches near Klamath Falls, OR. The Anabaptist church locator was just the eastern US. Thanks!
There is a church in Alturis, California. I believe that is the nearest plain church.
I'm surprised there isn't an Anabaptist church of any flavor closer to Klamath Falls. I think it would be a good location for one.
True. The west coast is full of "black holes" where there is no conservative anabaptist churches at all. To use an example, there is not a single plain church is the San Francisco bay area. That's one big black hole!

J.M.
1 x
:hug:
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:True. The west coast is full of "black holes" where there is no conservative anabaptist churches at all. To use an example, there is not a single plain church is the San Francisco bay area. That's one big black hole!

J.M.
The South is one big black hole
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:True. The west coast is full of "black holes" where there is no conservative anabaptist churches at all. To use an example, there is not a single plain church is the San Francisco bay area. That's one big black hole!

J.M.
The South is one big black hole
I am aware of a lot of plain people and groups all over Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida panhandle. Where is there a black hole?
1 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Haystack wrote:
RZehr wrote: There is a church in Alturis, California. I believe that is the nearest plain church.
I'm surprised there isn't an Anabaptist church of any flavor closer to Klamath Falls. I think it would be a good location for one.
True. The west coast is full of "black holes" where there is no conservative anabaptist churches at all. To use an example, there is not a single plain church is the San Francisco bay area. That's one big black hole!

J.M.
The Bay Area is indeed a black hole. Although I will say that it would be difficult to start a church plant there considering the cost of living and the job market might be tough depending on what flavor of plain church. Perhaps some type of communal living might work there.
1 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Haystack wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Haystack wrote:

J.M.
The Bay Area is indeed a black hole. Although I will say that it would be difficult to start a church plant there considering the cost of living and the job market might be tough depending on what flavor of plain church. Perhaps some type of communal living might work there.
The factors you mention are very real; take it from an ex-Californian who lived an hour from the Bay Area. And there are actually a bunch of Anabaptist/Plain churches in CA, they're just mostly over in the Central Valley or up in the east hills. There are some in LA and Lebec, some through the south part of the valley around Fresno and Squaw Valley, a bunch in the center from Winton/Livingston through Modesto and Sacramento, and various ones up north toward Redding, Alturas, etc. OGBBs (Old and New Conferences) and Holdemans make up the largest bulk (maybe 2/3rds, but there are quite a few independent groups, plus a Nationwide group up at Angels Camp. Once you get into Oregon there are several as well.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

since we are talking about dead zones... Anything near Covington, Louisiana?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote:since we are talking about dead zones... Anything near Covington, Louisiana?
I'm afraid not, although I imagine Anabaptists exist somewhere near a city that large.

(At one point someone in Covington stole my heart. Good memories of going to Cafe du Monde down there when I was a much, much younger man.)
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote:since we are talking about dead zones... Anything near Covington, Louisiana?
100 miles by road is my guess:

Darbun Mennonite Church
Founded:
Church Affiliation:
Pilgrim Mennonite Conference
Meeting Time:
9:30
Telephone:
601-736-8467
Directions:
From Tylertown, follow Rt 98 east to Rt 585. Turn left to Darbun. At Darbun, turn right onto Rt 586. Go .6 mile and bear right. The church is on the right. From Foxworth, follow Rt 586 west 12 miles to county line. Turn left. The church is on the right.
Address:
1379 Kokomo Rd
Darbun, MS 39643
United States

Hope this helps

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: (At one point someone in Covington stole my heart. Good memories of going to Cafe du Monde down there when I was a much, much younger man.)
yea I lived in Lakeside before the storm. Our house had withstood Betsy, but a little C3 took it down with mold.

If you don't mind me asking, what years were you there? would you have been an anabaptist at the time?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:100 miles by road is my guess:

Hope this helps

J.M.
well... not for my friend likely... I doubt he is going to drive 2 hours to try a church. Never know though.
0 x