Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Post by Heirbyadoption »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:28 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:26 pmAnyone know of an Anabaptist church in the Sonoma/Santa Rosa region of Northern California? We will be there over Christmas.
Not sure about Santa Rosa. Sacramento (2 hours) or the Modesto area (2.5 hours) are the closest I'm aware of, at least as far as semi- or conservative Anabaptist folk... There are some Mennonite Brethren churches down toward San Jose, too, I believe...
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Thank you both for your help...something so far away would be difficult. We're visiting the wife's family for Christmas this year and normally we reunite in SF (and attend SF First Mennonite...definitely not conservative). This year we will be in Santa Rosa and are looking for a place to worship.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:20 pm Thank you both for your help...something so far away would be difficult. We're visiting the wife's family for Christmas this year and normally we reunite in SF (and attend SF First Mennonite...definitely not conservative). This year we will be in Santa Rosa and are looking for a place to worship.
My wife is from Glenn, CA and there are several Holdeman churches there. It is a bit of a drive from Sonoma Co.

There used to be a Charity ish type of group in Sacramento but I don’t have any current info on them. Maybe Ernie does?

When I’m in Santa Rosa, I visit The Rock church which is a Calvary chapel. The preacher is a convert who grew up in a Jewish family. Every time I have gone there, I have been blessed to hear the gospel preached and testimonies of lives changed. My last visit was during Covid to an “underground” service. They had just had 20 baptisms of so along with financial, legal, and physical miracles following amongst needy people who had nowhere else to go and went to the only church whose doors were open.

A dear friend of mine (Noelle) is the pianist there, someone whom I credit for being one of several people who led me to Christ in 2014.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Thanks Josh!! We will look into Calvary then.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh

Post by Josh »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:56 pm Thanks Josh!! We will look into Calvary then.
There’s two on SR… this one is The Rock Calvary Chapel specifically. You can say Josh sent you. :)
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:20 pm Thank you both for your help...something so far away would be difficult. We're visiting the wife's family for Christmas this year and normally we reunite in SF (and attend SF First Mennonite...definitely not conservative). This year we will be in Santa Rosa and are looking for a place to worship.
My wife is from Glenn, CA and there are several Holdeman churches there. It is a bit of a drive from Sonoma Co.

There used to be a Charity ish type of group in Sacramento but I don’t have any current info on them. Maybe Ernie does?

When I’m in Santa Rosa, I visit The Rock church which is a Calvary chapel. The preacher is a convert who grew up in a Jewish family. Every time I have gone there, I have been blessed to hear the gospel preached and testimonies of lives changed. My last visit was during Covid to an “underground” service. They had just had 20 baptisms of so along with financial, legal, and physical miracles following amongst needy people who had nowhere else to go and went to the only church whose doors were open.

A dear friend of mine (Noelle) is the pianist there, someone whom I credit for being one of several people who led me to Christ in 2014.
The group in West Sacramento is no more, there are still one or two families that meet. I have contact info. Nearest thing I know of is a long drive.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

There’s a quite conservative crowd in Bangor as well (more conservative than Holdemans.) There are plenty of German Baptists and Holdemans if you head more towards the Central Valley, such as around Modesto and Merced. The closest thing we have to a “celebrity” preacher is out that way.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:21 pmThere’s a quite conservative crowd in Bangor as well (more conservative than Holdemans.) There are plenty of German Baptists and Holdemans if you head more towards the Central Valley, such as around Modesto and Merced. The closest thing we have to a “celebrity” preacher is out that way.
You have piqued my curiousity. :) Who achieved "celebrity" status among the Holdemans, and what do the Holdemans base such an idea on? Gifted oratorial skills? Lots of traveling? Powerful preaching?
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

The group in West Sacramento is no more, there are still one or two families that meet. I have contact info. Nearest thing I know of is a long drive.
JM, Are you referring to Nathan's group, or Lavern's?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:26 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:21 pmThere’s a quite conservative crowd in Bangor as well (more conservative than Holdemans.) There are plenty of German Baptists and Holdemans if you head more towards the Central Valley, such as around Modesto and Merced. The closest thing we have to a “celebrity” preacher is out that way.
You have piqued my curiousity. :) Who achieved "celebrity" status among the Holdemans, and what do the Holdemans base such an idea on? Gifted oratorial skills? Lots of traveling? Powerful preaching?
I doubt he would appreciate the title, but he is someone that many enjoy hearing his preaching (they will dial in to his church on Sunday nights, or after lunch for East Coasters, etc.), and also folks often talk to him for advice. Everyone in the conference knows who he is, basically. He is indeed an excellent orator.

He doesn’t travel anymore than other preachers who have committee assignments (which is many of them) - but preachers do get forced to travel quite a bit. Probably why many wives aren’t enthused about their husband finding himself called to the ministry.
0 x