Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Conservative Anabaptist Church Finder & Information

Post by Once Again »

My in-laws, who live in the Tulsa, OK area, found a tract on their car windshield from the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite today. Is there a Mennonite church in Tulsa? Or is it a common practice to travel to a distant town and put tracts on cars in parking lots? The whole family is wondering.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once Again wrote:My in-laws, who live in the Tulsa, OK area, found a tract on their car windshield from the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite today. Is there a Mennonite church in Tulsa? Or is it a common practice to travel to a distant town and put tracts on cars in parking lots? The whole family is wondering.
There's a congregation 50 minutes away. It is common to carry an armload of tracts everywhere one goes. The local tract workers for a congregation usually focus within an hour or so driving radius. I, myself, travel quite a bit, so I leave them wherever I go (eg in hotel desk drawers).
2 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:
Once Again wrote:My in-laws, who live in the Tulsa, OK area, found a tract on their car windshield from the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite today. Is there a Mennonite church in Tulsa? Or is it a common practice to travel to a distant town and put tracts on cars in parking lots? The whole family is wondering.
There's a congregation 50 minutes away. It is common to carry an armload of tracts everywhere one goes. The local tract workers for a congregation usually focus within an hour or so driving radius. I, myself, travel quite a bit, so I leave them wherever I go (eg in hotel desk drawers).
We pass a CGCM on our way to Tulsa from AR. One thing I've noticed, of all the times I've seen Plain people in AR (as in, out in public, at sight seeing places, small events, etc), 7/10 times its been a Holdeman. Do they just get out more or what???
2 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:We pass a CGCM on our way to Tulsa from AR. One thing I've noticed, of all the times I've seen Plain people in AR (as in, out in public, at sight seeing places, small events, etc), 7/10 times its been a Holdeman. Do they just get out more or what???
They have four congregations in AR. There are dozens of congregations in the states surrounding AR.
Some tend to be quite evangelistic as in street ministry, going door-to-door, stocking tract racks, etc.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

We attended a Holdeman church for 6 months when we lived 1hour away from one in BC. During which time we had a few times where elderly couples(in their 70's and 80's) showed up at our home more or less unannounced(this is what I prefer - but my wife likes it to be planned). We had them for supper and it was always very pleasant.

We left the area for a couple years and visited for one service to that same church when we came back. One of those elderly couples that had visited us wasn't at service so a couple months later they phoned one afternoon and said they were in the area(1.5hrs from their church) and they wanted to come over. We already had a family of 6 and one other single coming for supper so two more plates wasn't a problem. As they walked out the door the Holdeman husband said it was their 60th wedding anniversary today. :shock: They have 8 children of their own and they showed up at our house on their special day. Made it a special day I won't forget either!
2 x
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

One other question, I became aware a few months ago of Lakeside Mennonite Church in Checotah, OK. Does anyone know anything about them?
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Once Again wrote:One other question, I became aware a few months ago of Lakeside Mennonite Church in Checotah, OK. Does anyone know anything about them?
If this is the Kleine Gemeinde church in Checotah, I can speak very highly of them.
2 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote:They have four congregations in AR. There are dozens of congregations in the states surrounding AR.
Yup.. Basically in the 4 corners, I think. Closest to me would be Star City, but the one in Gentry is the one on the way to OK.
Some tend to be quite evangelistic as in street ministry, going door-to-door, stocking tract racks, etc.
Admirable enough.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Friend and I are driving down from western Massachusetts to new Jersey tomorrow afternoon. Are there places you recommend stopping? We would be leaving around 3:30.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

francis wrote:Friend and I are driving down from western Massachusetts to new Jersey tomorrow afternoon. Are there places you recommend stopping? We would be leaving around 3:30.
There is the usual stuff in NYC and then there is a Holdeman voluntary service unit in Hartford.
1 x