Church Planting By Relocating Families

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Church Planting By Relocating Families

Post by RZehr »

It is not uncommon for conservative Mennonite churches to send a handful of families to a new area in order to plant a church. I am planning to be moving in May/June as part of a church plant, and I would like this thread to be for ideas, advise, anecdotes, etc., not necessarily only for me, but for others as well, and not necessarily only by people that have done this, but also comments from people that have observed these projects.
Our church is planning to move 10 families 3 hours away to Central Oregon. One of our other churches in Washington is planning to send 8 families somewhere also, probably after school. I heard that a church in Arkansas is thinking of sending some families to Arizona for the same thing.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Church Planting By Relocating Families

Post by KingdomBuilder »

RZehr wrote:I heard that a church in Arkansas is thinking of sending some families to Arizona for the same thing.
Why? We barely have any anabaptist churches in Arkansas
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
RZehr wrote:I heard that a church in Arkansas is thinking of sending some families to Arizona for the same thing.
Why? We barely have any anabaptist churches in Arkansas
Couldn't tell you. I thought about you when I heard about it.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

RZehr wrote:Couldn't tell you. I thought about you when I heard about it.
I appreciate it. Glad to know someone is thinking about us lone Arkansan anabaptists :(
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Arizona sounds interesting.

It blows my mind to think I am in the same fellowship as the church in Wickenburg AZ.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I'm looking forward to reading this thread. It's a blessing to see the Word of God spread by dedicated disciples. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

so glad you started this thread. thank you.
looking forward to reading more+more!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Most advice I would have to give would vary depending on the DNA of your group and I don't know your DNA.
However there are a few things that could probably apply across the board.
Here are a couple...
1. Don't overtax the women and make them "hewers of wood and drawers of water". You'll want them to stay physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy. You need them to bring life to the church and the new community.
If you overtax them and don't provide opportunities for them to continue growing spiritually, it will effect the whole community, especially their children, and you will waste a lot of time and energy.
The men and the sending church should be willing to provide/hire help for the women as desired/needed.
2. Have a plan for how to handle minority viewpoints, disagreements, and appeals that you can use whenever normal organic relationships break down. Include and agreement on what will be done if some in the church eventually no longer wish to fellowship with you. You may never need to use the plan but it is good to have it in place and that each person in the church agrees to the plan whenever they join.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

You may already be doing this, but from what I have observed, it seems good for the group of families who are relocating to meet and fellowship together while still in the sending community. It seems to help the new fellowship to get off to a running start and could make for fewer surprises.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

You will find an initial burst of interest in the community when you first get there. Be sure to take the time to capitalize on this to make friends and get to know people. I was involved in an effort like this and I've often wished I would have done more. After we lived there for a while, we just became a normal part of the community and we didn't have the same opportunity.
0 x