Maranatha conference? - What do you know about them?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Maranatha conference? - What do you know about them?

Post by Chris »

Just curious how conservative they are. I'll be more specific.

1) TV / Movies allowed if parents are very particular about morality?
2) Veils or Capps?
3) Internet? Filtered or ? If so, is Facebook allowed?
4) Smart phones?
5) Computers allowed in homes?
6) Black cars such as Eastern PA Mennos?
7) Clothing? Cape dresses? Solids? What about men?

Any other input? I'm just very curious about this group.

Thanks!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Maranatha conference? - What do you know about them?

Post by Josh »

Chris wrote:Just curious how conservative they are. I'll be more specific.

2) Veils or Capps?
4) Smart phones?

Thanks!
Last contact with them was running into one of their members at AIC 2017. My impression from them in Whiteville, TN was a group of people who are exceptionally helpful and accomodating to a seeker despite some troubles / issues.

As of 2017 they did not use Internet or smartphones. I do not think they would not have attended movie theatres. The person I spoke with was not driving a black car. Cape dresses, kapps, and solid-like prints. Suspenders and beards with no moustache on men. Can't remember if the men wore broadfalls or not, but I don't think so.

Probably the best way to learn more about them would be to give one of their ministers in the directory a call.

I'm not sure what "TV / Movies allowed if parents are very particular about morality" means - is this an exception in some other groups? What about single people?
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote:

2) Veils or Capps?
4) Smart phones?

Thanks!
Last contact with them was running into one of their members at AIC 2017. My impression from them in Whiteville, TN was a group of people who are exceptionally helpful and accomodating to a seeker despite some troubles / issues.

As of 2017 they did not use Internet or smartphones. I do not think they would not have attended movie theatres. The person I spoke with was not driving a black car. Cape dresses, kapps, and solid-like prints. Suspenders and beards with no moustache on men. Can't remember if the men wore broadfalls or not, but I don't think so.

Probably the best way to learn more about them would be to give one of their ministers in the directory a call.

I'm not sure what "TV / Movies allowed if parents are very particular about morality" means - is this an exception in some other groups? What about single people?
I believe they now allow smartphones with a security appliance (Eastern's Filter). Not sure if this is conference-wide or if it just pertains to the Lancaster Churches though.....
0 x
MichaelPA
Affiliation: Christian

Post by MichaelPA »

I don't think Eastern PA Mennonites require black cars anymore. As long as the cars are a dark color, it is ok.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

"One solid subdued colour" but experience with the CMCO indicates that no one is exactly sure what that means.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:"One solid subdued colour" but experience with the CMCO indicates that no one is exactly sure what that means.
In my own conference, there has certainly been difficulty defining what “two tone” is, with some very offended former brethren who decided their “two tone” car was not prideful and should be allowed.

My feeling is I would paint or sell my car if my brethren felt it could be a snare, even if I feel it is not. If we all have that attitude, we won’t fall into these traps.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MichaelPA wrote:I don't think Eastern PA Mennonites require black cars anymore. As long as the cars are a dark color, it is ok.
They never did require black cars.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:
MichaelPA wrote:I don't think Eastern PA Mennonites require black cars anymore. As long as the cars are a dark color, it is ok.
Why does everyone think this? Is it confusion with the black hats?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Why does everyone think this? Is it confusion with the black hats?
Possibly because a high percentage of EPMC people drive black vehicles (particularly for their "church vehicle). EPMC has never required black hats on a church-wide basis either.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

YorkandAdams wrote:
Josh wrote:

2) Veils or Capps?
4) Smart phones?

Thanks!

I believe they now allow smartphones with a security appliance (Eastern's Filter). Not sure if this is conference-wide or if it just pertains to the Lancaster Churches though.....
What is this “Eastern FIlter” and how does it work?

J.M.
0 x
:hug: