What the Mennonites got right

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: What the Mennonites got right

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:Stay at home mothers. I'm sitting in the dentist waiting room receiving compliments on the behavior of my 4 kids.
I think having a stay at home mother is a huge reason for their decent behavior.
Or we got right making sure no single mothers ever try to convert / join our churches.
We have a single mother join here and a divorced mother regularly attending. Not sure what you mean.
My comment is contrasting the two working parent homes and sending the kids to daycare. Not a knock at the single moms who work. Although we try to meet their needs so that can stay at home if they have small children.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:Stay at home mothers. I'm sitting in the dentist waiting room receiving compliments on the behavior of my 4 kids.
I think having a stay at home mother is a huge reason for their decent behavior.
Or we got right making sure no single mothers ever try to convert / join our churches.
We have a single mother join here and a divorced mother regularly attending. Not sure what you mean.
My comment is contrasting the two working parent homes and sending the kids to daycare. Not a knock at the single moms who work. Although we try to meet their needs so that can stay at home if they have small children.
I'm just having trouble seeing how stay-at-home mothers is something the "Mennonites got right". It seems like more of an artefact of growing up with a stable, traditional culture with accumulated wealth and not a lot of debt, so in a 2-parent family, both parents don't need to work, and were single-parent families just don't really happen that often.

Yet if I look at the early Swiss Brethren, many of them were people attending church alone - without their spouse. And how they were raising their kids - and concepts like a stay at home mother (when both mothers and fathers had to work, a lot, just to survive) - isn't a topic of discussion that even shows up anywhere.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
I'm just having trouble seeing how stay-at-home mothers is something the "Mennonites got right". It seems like more of an artefact of growing up with a stable, traditional culture with accumulated wealth and not a lot of debt, so in a 2-parent family, both parents don't need to work, and were single-parent families just don't really happen that often.

Yet if I look at the early Swiss Brethren, many of them were people attending church alone - without their spouse. And how they were raising their kids - and concepts like a stay at home mother (when both mothers and fathers had to work, a lot, just to survive) - isn't a topic of discussion that even shows up anywhere.
Depends what Mennonites we're talking about. In the last 100 years many denominations commonly have no issue with both parents working. We do encourage mothers to be keepers at home, and I think that the fruit of this is way better than the alternative; I think this is something we got right.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:It seems like more of an artefact of growing up with a stable, traditional culture with accumulated wealth and not a lot of debt, so in a 2-parent family, both parents don't need to work, and were single-parent families just don't really happen that often.
Stable, traditional culture - yes. We have much to be thankful for.
Accumulated wealth - sometimes, but not necessarily. My observation is that sometimes the more well-to-do among us seem to be more open to the idea of the wife working outside the home for a time after marriage.
Not a lot of debt - yes, sometime, but more due to training and tradition than inherited wealth. Young couples learn to skimp, save, and make do. Growing a large garden cuts the grocery bill and provides worthwhile work to keep the children occupied. The Swiss-German work ethic, thriftiness, and economic viewpoint are strong. Generally the only large debt that a family would be expected to have (other than if self-employed) would be the mortgage, which doesn't have to be that large if the house is simple.
Josh wrote: Yet if I look at the early Swiss Brethren, many of them were people attending church alone - without their spouse. And how they were raising their kids - and concepts like a stay at home mother (when both mothers and fathers had to work, a lot, just to survive) - isn't a topic of discussion that even shows up anywhere.
Farming was common, and even those in the trades often worked in their homes or close by, with family members helping. If a man had a harness shop, his children could help to cut and stitch the leather, for instance. This being the prevailing culture of the times we wouldn't expect them to write about it as a Christian peculiarity.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This leaves those of us who aren't Swiss-German out in the cold. I can't make myself become Swiss-German. And having a Swiss-German work ethic seems very far afield from anything having to do with the kingdom of heaven.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:This leaves those of us who aren't Swiss-German out in the cold. I can't make myself become Swiss-German. And having a Swiss-German work ethic seems very far afield from anything having to do with the kingdom of heaven.
I agree to a point, but I'd say that having such a high standard of living that both parents need to work away from home is even farther from kingdom of heaven ideals.
1 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:

As far as the Swiss Brethren go, I suspect that many of them were involved in cottage industries and that both parents and all the children were probably working for most of their waking hours, just to stay alive.

A lot of families with stay at home mothers live on a lot less than some families think they need. It's true that there are families in the Mennonite Church that are well to do, and the father makes a kings ransom for an income. But that isn't nearly as true for today's working generation as it was a generation ago, at least here in the west. Most of this generation's fathers will not have large savings accounts built up for retirement. At least not those who don't live in large Mennonite communities.
1 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Brotherly Mutual Aid - Virtually 100% of donations actually go toward the loss, compared with commercial insurance, where 50-60% of premiums go to cover losses and the other 40-50% is overhead and profit. And the goodwill and brotherhood that come with brotherly mutual aid are priceless.
2 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: What the Conservative Anabaptists got right

Post by Ernie »

The things that have been mentioned the last page or so are things that would only apply to less than half the Mennonites.
It also seems like the things that have been mentioned would apply equally well to the conservative Brethren, Amish, and Hutterites.
So perhaps we should start a new thread that applies to 21st century conservative Anabaptists?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Dan Z wrote:Two things that drew me into Anabaptism, and keep me here are:

1) A deeply rooted sense of community ("one-anothering")

2) A sense that ones faith should impact all areas of life.
These are the practical ones of course...

...the theological draw, and the genius of Anabaptism from my point of view, is what I would call Christocentrism - the centrality of Christ's life and teachings.
1 x