Sitting at the feet of Jesus

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Sitting at the feet of Jesus

Post by lesterb »

Jesus commented Mary for choosing the better thing - sitting at the feet of Jesus.

So what are some of practical ways we can follow Mary's example? And what will it do for us?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Sitting at the feet of Jesus

Post by RZehr »

Having a time of devotions alone. As opposed to doing good deeds. It will help keep our focus in the right direction.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:Jesus commented Mary for choosing the better thing - sitting at the feet of Jesus.

So what are some of practical ways we can follow Mary's example? And what will it do for us?
Let's look at that example:
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
Are we consumed with Jesus, or are we consumed with everything else? Surely Martha's serving was good Christian activity, but it still missed the core. We do that a lot.

We are anxious and troubled about many things, quickly taking up every issue we see advertised in our favorite corners of the media or the internet and letting them drive our thought life, worrying about everything that happens to us, not trusting God to take care of us or to speak to us. If we want to turn our eyes to Jesus, we have to reject all these other things that want to take his place. We cannot live in the fear and anger of the world around us.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

What I read out of that story is it is more important to be than to do.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Well... While Jesus isn't physically present for us to quietly retire at his feet to listen to his words, His Spirit is with us and does speak. As with anyone that speaks, you have to make room to hear them.
Do you ever notice just how noisy this world is? Not necessarily in a strictly auditory way- just stimulation. It's nearly inescapable, and we often don't want to escape it.
Quietness goes a long way. To step away from this noisy, chaotic world and our noisy, chaotic minds is a good place to start.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Well... While Jesus isn't physically present for us to quietly retire at his feet to listen to his words, His Spirit is with us and does speak. As with anyone that speaks, you have to make room to hear them.
Do you ever notice just how noisy this world is? Not necessarily in a strictly auditory way- just stimulation. It's nearly inescapable, and we often don't want to escape it.
Quietness goes a long way. To step away from this noisy, chaotic world and our noisy, chaotic minds is a good place to start.
Amen. I would also include time away from the internet. KB, you've touched on a phenomenon that the professionals are just now identifying: addiction to internet forums and social media. Some see it as a form of narcissism; others include atypical neural addictions in that set of behaviors (generic lay terms: the brain becomes rewired by internet overuse).

Those who spend all day on forums and social media need help with stepping back from the noise of this world and sitting quietly with Jesus to hear what He has to say. Brotherly mentoring is necessary to help them but the individual has to also want the help for the sake of Jesus.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I'm sure that Mary did her share of housework. But she had her priorities in the right place. So sitting at the feet of Jesus doesn't mean being a shirker.

I agree that part of sitting at the feet of Jesus is Bible reading. But I think that there is more to it than that. It's taking time to allow Jesus to speak to us. Maybe a verse in your personal devotions strikes you. Instead of feeling obligated to finish reading your day's allotted chapter or chapters, take time to meditate on what you've just read. So sitting at the feet of Jesus means taking time to think and to listen. Sometimes we need to de-clutter our minds so that Jesus can speak to us. I know people who are always so busy talking that they hardly hear what others are saying. Sometimes Jesus might feel that way about us.

I have a certain sneaking sympathy for the medieval mystics, as long as they didn't take the concept too far. I think we are so afraid of some of their extremes that we err on the opposite extreme.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Well... While Jesus isn't physically present for us to quietly retire at his feet to listen to his words, His Spirit is with us and does speak. As with anyone that speaks, you have to make room to hear them.
Reminds me of this: "... and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings 19:11b-12
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wade wrote:Reminds me of this: "... and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings 19:11b-12
Love it- Never heard that one before
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Wade wrote:Reminds me of this: "... and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

Love it- Never heard that one before
It is a conservative Anabaptist thing. Heard it all my life. Remember, we have been known to be the quiet in the land.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"