Modern Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Modern Mennonite Churches

Post by Sudsy »

There are a number of threads on 'Conservative' Mennonites of sorts and I was wondering which types of Mennonites would not fit into the 'conservative' category and what might be the traits that make them non-conservative.

In our city I think we likely have at least 3 that would not fit a 'conservative' category but I'm not sure where the 'conservative' line is crossed into, I guess, 'liberal' and/or 'modern'.

Some practises that our church does that I would not think are considered conservative. Right ?

1. Extensive use of the Internet - Facebook, Podcasts, Video sermons, etc.
2. Worship bands - guitars of sorts, electric keyboards, drums
3. Worship style - hand clapping, raising of hands during singing, light dancing, no hymn books
4. Open communion - any professing believer from wherever. Parents decide for their children
5. No dress rules - men wear shorts in summer, women wear women's slacks, modest dress left to individual
6. Extensive use of electronics - big sound system, videos in sermons, overhead screens for song words, etc
7. Headcoverings optional and not preached on
8. Cafe and drinks taken into worship services
9. D&R - marriage courses and counselling but belief in fresh starts without spouse dying first
10. Women in any role except lead pastor

Basically our sidewalk version statement of faith - http://www.mennonitebrethren.ca/resourc ... k-edition/
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Modern Mennonite Churches

Post by KingdomBuilder »

It's interesting to see "modern" Mennonite churches being more "modern" than many Protestant denominations
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:It's interesting to see "modern" Mennonite churches being more "modern" than many Protestant denominations
Anabaptists are notorious for following the trends on the outside except in a 10-year-delayed time warp, so if one hangs around moderate conservatives, you can hear them sing “Shine Jesus Shine” and play it on the guitar when the rest of Christendom quit singing that song a while ago.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:It's interesting to see "modern" Mennonite churches being more "modern" than many Protestant denominations
Anabaptists are notorious for following the trends on the outside except in a 10-year-delayed time warp, so if one hangs around moderate conservatives, you can hear them sing “Shine Jesus Shine” and play it on the guitar when the rest of Christendom quit singing that song a while ago.
I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. The imagery was just too spot on. :?
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Sudsy wrote:There are a number of threads on 'Conservative' Mennonites of sorts and I was wondering which types of Mennonites would not fit into the 'conservative' category and what might be the traits that make them non-conservative.

In our city I think we likely have at least 3 that would not fit a 'conservative' category but I'm not sure where the 'conservative' line is crossed into, I guess, 'liberal' and/or 'modern'.

Some practises that our church does that I would not think are considered conservative. Right ?

1. Extensive use of the Internet - Facebook, Podcasts, Video sermons, etc.
3. Worship style - hand clapping, raising of hands during singing, light dancing, no hymn books
4. Open communion - any professing believer from wherever. Parents decide for their children
5. No dress rules - men wear shorts in summer, women wear women's slacks, modest dress left to individual
6. Extensive use of electronics - big sound system, videos in sermons, overhead screens for song words, etc
9. D&R - marriage courses and counselling but belief in fresh starts without spouse dying first

Basically our sidewalk version statement of faith - http://www.mennonitebrethren.ca/resourc ... k-edition/
Do you think Menno Simons would be satisfied, since it is his name you are using?
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wade wrote:Do you think Menno Simons would be satisfied, since it is his name you are using?
Do you think Jesus is satisfied when we use names other than His as our identifier?
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Wade wrote:Do you think Menno Simons would be satisfied, since it is his name you are using?
Do you think Jesus is satisfied when we use names other than His as our identifier?
I was getting to that... ;)
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Well what Sudsy describes would not describe the local Wesleyan, Pentecostal, or any other local churches. This is outside of my definition of conservative Anabaptism or conservative anything.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What Sudsy describes I call “mainstream evangelical Mennonites”. It is essentially a transitional group that is shedding its Anabaptist identity.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: 1. Extensive use of the Internet - Facebook, Podcasts, Video sermons, etc.
Not exactly Mennonite, but we attend what I would consider "mid-stream" Church of the Brethren.

1- No podcasts, but we can live-stream services at home.
2- We have a Praise Team. Half the songs are congregational hyme singing, otherhalf is the Praise Team. It was something to get used to.
3- No dancing, no raised hands. We do applaud maybe once during the service. Again, something to get used to.
4- I think you need permission to take lovefeast/communion if you are not a member.
5- No written dress code, but modesty is preached/encouraged.
6- We have most of this.
7- Coverings are option and preached on.
8- I see a little of this in the Sunday School hour.
9- D&R is touchy. I think there is a chance for a D&R person can be a member, but there's a lot of hoops to jump through.
10- No women behind the pulpit, but we do have a woman song leader.

Flame on!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!