Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Modern Mennonite Churches

Post by Sudsy »

Gene wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Sudsy wrote:2. Worship bands - guitars of sorts
Not sure what all is included here. We generally have just "plain" guitars (mine is even black :) ), but once in a while a mandolin or ukelele shows up.
Just to make an observation based on a practice by a perhaps somewhat obscure Anabaptist sect, as much as you might attempt to identify with those keepers of tradition, a black guitar does not have the cachet of a black bumper as an indicator of one's theological probity. It just doesn't. Maybe if the paint is applied after market. And one can clearly observe the brush strokes. Still doubtful.
Here is a quick view of the worship team and instruments used - http://www.meadowbrook.ca/sundays/worship/

Looking forward this morning to worship and the sermon on the Parable of the Rich Fool.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

Where would this church/organization be regarding the gay issue?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

betterpromises2 wrote:Where would this church/organization be regarding the gay issue?
If you are asking whether any sexual activity outside of a man and woman in a marriage relationship is sin, the answer is 'yes'. And marriage is only marriage when between a man and a woman.

I can't say how involved gay people are or will be allowed to serve in our church as I don't know but I hope to a certain extent it would be along the lines of Woodland Hills church. I recommend listening to this little sermon regarding how this Anabaptist church handles the gay issue.

http://reknew.org/2012/10/homosexuality ... third-way/
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Sudsy wrote:
betterpromises2 wrote:Where would this church/organization be regarding the gay issue?
If you are asking whether any sexual activity outside of a man and woman in a marriage relationship is sin, the answer is 'yes'. And marriage is only marriage when between a man and a woman.

I can't say how involved gay people are or will be allowed to serve in our church as I don't know but I hope to a certain extent it would be along the lines of Woodland Hills church. I recommend listening to this little sermon regarding how this Anabaptist church handles the gay issue.

http://reknew.org/2012/10/homosexuality ... third-way/
betterpromises2, if you do take the time to watch this sermon, I would be interested in yours or others thoughts on this and if necessary we can break it off into a separate thread.

I have to go away for the weekend beginning tomorrow but will return to observe and respond to any posts.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I suspect this song will likely not appeal to the non-modern Mennonites but it is a new song we will be singing at church tomorrow for the first time and it reminds me of the Christus Victor Anabaptist viewpoint regarding the atonement. I'm looking forward to worship -

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:I suspect this song will likely not appeal to the non-modern Mennonites but it is a new song we will be singing at church tomorrow for the first time and it reminds me of the Christus Victor Anabaptist viewpoint regarding the atonement. I'm looking forward to worship -

Thanks Sudsy. I used to love playing or listening to this song. Elevation Worship has a few other favourites of mine.

I imagine that eventually, someone will set the to 4 part, and in 20 or 30 years I’ll get to hear their songs and sing them again.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I imagine that eventually, someone will set the to 4 part, and in 20 or 30 years I’ll get to hear their songs and sing them again.
No reason to wait that long, just get some music notation software and start working on Christian Hymnary Vol. 2. 8-) :idea:

I do have to wonder how much "modern" music will last 20+ years. There's some really good stuff being written now, but an awful lot of chaff as well.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Speaking of modern Mennonite churches, is anyone going to Lancaster’s annual conference (Celebration of Church Life) next weekend?
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

ohio jones wrote:I do have to wonder how much "modern" music will last 20+ years. There's some really good stuff being written now, but an awful lot of chaff as well.
I think this applies to music (and works of art generally) from all eras. Most of what is produced at any given time won't be that great, because making good art is hard. After a few decades or centuries people have forgotten the mediocre stuff; only the art that was good enough to preserve is left, creating an illusion of the good old days.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

PeterG wrote:
ohio jones wrote:I do have to wonder how much "modern" music will last 20+ years. There's some really good stuff being written now, but an awful lot of chaff as well.
I think this applies to music (and works of art generally) from all eras. Most of what is produced at any given time won't be that great, because making good art is hard. After a few decades or centuries people have forgotten the mediocre stuff; only the art that was good enough to preserve is left, creating an illusion of the good old days.
Good point - It also means our hymnbooks are often collections of the best of past eras (although somewhat subjectively chosen).

The 1969 Mennonite Hymnal is still one of my favorite's for theology and thoughtful selection. I should also put a plug in here - one of the best ones for Anabaptist Kingdom-minded folks is Hymns of the Church edited by John D. Martin. We're blessed with good hymnary.
0 x