Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Apostolic Christian Church

Post by Ernie »

From this thread:
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=364
Karstan78 wrote:
plain wrote:
Karstan78 wrote:In Europe 90% will cover full time
Is there a list of those chuches somewhere?
Karstan78 wrote:including a large percentage that wear theirs to sleep.
Didn't know it is so.
All the churches in Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia cover full time. With most female members in Hungary, Germany, Sweden and Austria covering full time as well. As a rule we don’t greet female members without a covering, nor do we greet male members whose heads are covered.
What does the bolded mean? How might men cover their heads which would disqualify them?
In CM culture, greeting means giving someone a Holy Kiss along with the right hand of fellowship. Men with men and ladies with ladies. If a man is wearing a cap or hat, I would greet them regardless.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well in an ACC or ACC-N setting, greetings would take place during or right around church, so presumably people’s heads would be donned as appropriate for a church service.
0 x
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Ernie wrote:From this thread:
Karstan78 wrote:
plain wrote:

Didn't know it is so.
All the churches in Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia cover full time. With most female members in Hungary, Germany, Sweden and Austria covering full time as well. As a rule we don’t greet female members without a covering, nor do we greet male members whose heads are covered.
What does the bolded mean? How might men cover their heads which would disqualify them?
In CM culture, greeting means giving someone a Holy Kiss along with the right hand of fellowship. Men with men and ladies with ladies. If a man is wearing a cap or hat, I would greet them regardless.
Yes, a hat or headpiece for a man. We only use the Holy Kiss inside church or private settings. But we shake hands as a greeting outside when meeting any members male or female. The greetings is a sacred practice to our faith as we believe we are issuing a blessing from God, not greeting a member is a serious offence.
As men remove their hats/headpieces before prayer, so will they do the same before issuing/receiving the greetings as they are asking God to bless the member and in return receiving a blessing from God.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:From this thread:
Karstan78 wrote:
plain wrote:

Didn't know it is so.
A question for CM's and Apostolic Christians:

Does the right hand of fellowship just mean shaking hands? or more?
How does that relate to people who are members? and ones who are not?
And does that mean there times that someone would intentional not shake hands?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

We wouldn’t shake hands with an expelled person (although doing so by accident, like the first time you meet someone, is acceptable).
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Wade wrote: A question for CM's and Apostolic Christians:
CM's believe that the right hand of fellowship (shaking hands) is accompanied by the holy kiss (Christian Salutation) and is only for those who are members of a church with "like precious faith". Otherwise it is just a handshake.
Longer ago the right hand of fellowship and Holy Kiss would have been given to anyone who practiced non-conformity to the world and non-resistance. In more recent years, as the the CM movement has fractured into about 50 different pieces, it tends to only be practiced with those in the same constituency or with constituencies on either side (on the conservative barometer).

CM churches other than Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Holdeman) would still shake hands with excommunicated folks and with people who left the church and attend more progressive Mennonite churches.
When I go back to the church I originally grew up in, most greet meet with the right hand of fellowship and holy kiss but a few give me the "stiff arm". The stiff arm means they don't lean in for the holy kiss but rather indicate by their stiff arm and handshake that they no longer consider me a brother of like precious faith.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
EJM
Affiliation: Catholic,(not Roman)

Post by EJM »

Ernie wrote:
CM's believe that the right hand of fellowship (shaking hands) is accompanied by the holy kiss (Christian Salutation) and is only for those who are members of a church with "like precious faith". Otherwise it is just a handshake.
Longer ago the right hand of fellowship and Holy Kiss would have been given to anyone who practiced non-conformity to the world and non-resistance. In more recent years, as the the CM movement has fractured into about 50 different pieces, it tends to only be practiced with those in the same constituency or with constituencies on either side (on the conservative barometer).

CM churches other than Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Holdeman) would still shake hands with excommunicated folks and with people who left the church and attend more progressive Mennonite churches.
When I go back to the church I originally grew up in, most greet meet with the right hand of fellowship and holy kiss but a few give me the "stiff arm". The stiff arm means they don't lean in for the holy kiss but rather indicate by their stiff arm and handshake that they no longer consider me a brother of like precious faith.
Jesus’ words, “inasmuch as ye have done it to the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me” make me very uneasy to stiff arm anyone. It seems is is only to easy for many to extend the right foot of disfellowship in today’s divisive social environment.
Just curious, are the Mennonites going to be in the East end of heaven, the Amish in the West, the Catholics in the North and Protestants on the South side? Unwilling to compromise convictions regarding plain scripture, however it may be if we cannot get along here, one of us won’t be up there, maybe both.
Jesus said, “ let us NOT love in word neither in tongue but in deed and in truth.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

EJM wrote: Just curious, are the Mennonites going to be in the East end of heaven, the Amish in the West, the Catholics in the North and Protestants on the South side?
Yep, with high walls between them so each group can continue to be sure they are the only ones there!

(not really)
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:

Thank you for your honesty and reply.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

EJM wrote:
Ernie wrote:

Jesus’ words, “inasmuch as ye have done it to the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me” make me very uneasy to stiff arm anyone. It seems is is only to easy for many to extend the right foot of disfellowship in today’s divisive social environment.
Just curious, are the Mennonites going to be in the East end of heaven, the Amish in the West, the Catholics in the North and Protestants on the South side? Unwilling to compromise convictions regarding plain scripture, however it may be if we cannot get along here, one of us won’t be up there, maybe both.
Jesus said, “ let us NOT love in word neither in tongue but in deed and in truth.
The New Testament speaks quite a bit about the importance of separation from the apostate.

Most attempts to unify different groups of Christians have resulted in very worldly, unbiblical groups. I hope you wouldn’t be offended that I would not consider a Methodist lesbian minister to be a Christian and would not greet such a person as one. Instead, we are to consider such people as a tax gatherer or a heathen, and should share the gospel with them.
0 x