Apostolic Christian Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Best Resources for the Practice of Head-covering

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:I am in Switzerland now, trying to find as many old hidden Alttäufergemeinde churches as I can, it sure is not easy.

J.M.
Nice. Not sure what you are looking for but the Mennonite Conference of Switzerland has a website listing all operating Mennonite congregations in Switzerland with links to the individual congregations: https://www.menno.ch/index.php/die-gemeinden Site's only available in French and German though.

I also created a map on google maps showing (amongst others) the locations of those congregations (blue markers) as well as some historic Anabaptist places in Switzerland (green markers) such as the birthplace of Conrad Grebel or many of the early Anabaptist hiding places. Obviously this is work in progress and there are some places missing.

The map mainly focuses on Fröhlich congregations but you can switch those layers off. Check it out and let me know if you can access it, otherwise I'll try to send you the link via pm or email.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19k7D1 ... sp=sharing

How long are you staying in Switzerland and are you passing by Zurich?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Swiss Bro wrote: Edit: I realise I might get off the wrong foot in these forums. I don't mean that all Amerians can't tell Sweden from Switzerland... :oops:
That's okay - we Canadians also tend to think that (some) Americans are geographically challenged! :D
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Swiss Bro wrote:Nazarene refugees from Eastern Europe settling in Sweden. The location of the first congregation est. 1969 was in Örkelljunga.
So the only Nazarenes in Sweden are in Örkelljunga?
0 x
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

plain wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote:Nazarene refugees from Eastern Europe settling in Sweden. The location of the first congregation est. 1969 was in Örkelljunga.
So the only Nazarenes in Sweden are in Örkelljunga?
To my knowledge there are two congregations but I don‘t know the location of the second one. Perhaps Karstan knows more.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Swiss Bro wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:I am in Switzerland now, trying to find as many old hidden Alttäufergemeinde churches as I can, it sure is not easy.

J.M.
Nice. Not sure what you are looking for but the Mennonite Conference of Switzerland has a website listing all operating Mennonite congregations in Switzerland with links to the individual congregations: https://www.menno.ch/index.php/die-gemeinden Site's only available in French and German though.

I also created a map on google maps showing (amongst others) the locations of those congregations (blue markers) as well as some historic Anabaptist places in Switzerland (green markers) such as the birthplace of Conrad Grebel or many of the early Anabaptist hiding places. Obviously this is work in progress and there are some places missing.

The map mainly focuses on Fröhlich congregations but you can switch those layers off. Check it out and let me know if you can access it, otherwise I'll try to send you the link via pm or email.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19k7D1 ... sp=sharing

How long are you staying in Switzerland and are you passing by Zurich?
Only long enough to get in and out of the airport. The map doesn’t work on my iPad, but I will be home tomorrow and will try it than. My goal in making this detour was to get as many “Hidden in plain sight “ church pictures as I can. If (When?) I teach history, these are an important part of the past. Maybe of our future as well.

I get over here from time to time, so I will post next time I am in Europe. I have some interesting observations. Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Only long enough to get in and out of the airport.
That's a pity. Zurich as the "cradle of anabaptism" has quite a lot of interesting sites to visit. Birthplaces of Felix Manz and Conrad Grebel, Grossmünster where Zwingli was preaching, the spot where Manz was drowned and in nearby Zollikon the house where one of the first anabaptist meetings was held is still standing...
Judas Maccabeus wrote:The map doesn’t work on my iPad, but I will be home tomorrow and will try it than.
I doesn't work on iPad. Check it out at home and let me know what you think.

Judas Maccabeus wrote: My goal in making this detour was to get as many “Hidden in plain sight “ church pictures as I can.
Not sure I quite understand what you mean by that. Perhaps if you post a few of those pictures?
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
Again not sure what you mean, care to elaborate? In Switzerland a Christian woman wearing the head covering is a rare sight (except for nuns, obv.).
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Apostolic Christian Church

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
Maybe the 500th year since the Reformation brought more interest/recognition into focus?
Over the last year, the topic came up in my news feed; the topic, tourists, meetings, etc.

Years ago, we visited Zurich for a day. i’m not one for cities, but, Zurich captured my imagination like no other. we arrived by train from Lausanne. even the train stop was memorable.
i have a fantasy of returning, even of living there. (emphasis on “fantasy.”)
i’m glad to see this discussion. :D
Hats Off wrote:
Swiss Bro wrote: Edit: I realise I might get off the wrong foot in these forums. I don't mean that all Amerians can't tell Sweden from Switzerland... :oops:
That's okay - we Canadians also tend to think that (some) Americans are geographically challenged! :D
This is a kind of a strange thing i first noticed when traveling, about 1970. :?
(my perception is) people who know geography best are those whose families are interested and value it. public schools don’t focus on it .. this forum is an exception, but many people do not realize the great impact families have on their children’s education. over-reliance on public schools, or maybe any school, is a sad mistake. a strong combination of home+school is best, with lots of respect for home responsibility.

when our daughter was in college, she was interested in teaching geography, wanted a degree in geography, but was advised, sadly, by a geography professor, it is not a degree colleges are seeking.

years later, if anything, the advent of and reliance on GPS, may be making matters all the worse. people seem to not be looking at maps, studying the bigger picture, as in the past.
i hope i’m wrong.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Swiss Bro

Re: Apostolic Christian Church

Post by Swiss Bro »

temporal1 wrote: Maybe the 500th year since the Reformation brought more interest/recognition into focus?
Over the last year, the topic came up in my news feed; the topic, tourists, meetings, etc.
I doubt it since the reformation has nothing to do with head covering. Might have to do with more plain people coming over searching for roots, doing genealogy etc.
temporal1 wrote: Years ago, we visited Zurich for a day. i’m not one for cities, but, Zurich captured my imagination like no other. we arrived by train from Lausanne. even the train stop was memorable.
i have a fantasy of returning, even of living there. (emphasis on “fantasy.”)
i’m glad to see this discussion. :D
Living and working there I can confirm it's a nice city.
0 x
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Only long enough to get in and out of the airport. The map doesn’t work on my iPad, but I will be home tomorrow and will try it than. My goal in making this detour was to get as many “Hidden in plain sight “ church pictures as I can. If (When?) I teach history, these are an important part of the past. Maybe of our future as well.

I get over here from time to time, so I will post next time I am in Europe. I have some interesting observations. Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
This is interesting, what is a “hidden in plain sight” church?
I know there are some headcovering Mennonite churches in Germany. From time to time some of our members have left to join their local Mennonite church. Are these the churches you mean? I know from reading on here that the German Mennonites have almost nothing to do with the North American Mennonites.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Swiss Bro wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Only long enough to get in and out of the airport.
That's a pity. Zurich as the "cradle of anabaptism" has quite a lot of interesting sites to visit. Birthplaces of Felix Manz and Conrad Grebel, Grossmünster where Zwingli was preaching, the spot where Manz was drowned and in nearby Zollikon the house where one of the first anabaptist meetings was held is still standing...
Judas Maccabeus wrote:The map doesn’t work on my iPad, but I will be home tomorrow and will try it than.
I doesn't work on iPad. Check it out at home and let me know what you think.

Judas Maccabeus wrote: My goal in making this detour was to get as many “Hidden in plain sight “ church pictures as I can.
Not sure I quite understand what you mean by that. Perhaps if you post a few of those pictures?
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Has there been something going on over here? My wife wears a head covering and it it the first time it was noticed, and placed correctly. Multiple times.
J.M.
Again not sure what you mean, care to elaborate? In Switzerland a Christian woman wearing the head covering is a rare sight (except for nuns, obv.).
Well, it would have been obvious to the casual observer that my wife was not a nun, especially with me at her side.

Oh, I have been to Zurich a number of times before, and yes I love it. The river running through it , the old city near the river. My fair city lost it's entire victorian era core in 1915 due to a massive fire, and the rebuild was less than desirable.

We never seemed to be noticed before, but a number of Swiss actually courteously approaches us, normally on the train, and asked if we spoke english, than some derivative of "Are you from Pennsylvania." They seemed to be aware of the existence of mennonites/amish, and that we came from "Here." Two of them mentioned some kind of movie. So for whatever reason, there seems to be a higher awareness of our existence and origin. This did not happen in Germany at all, although we spent more time there. One of them offered to show me where Hans Hasselbacher was executed in Bern.

These "hidden" churches are in many ways of thinking, the intermediate state between persecution and religious freedom. It is a place where mennonites spent a period of time, varying greatly from country to country. Here is an example, from Langenau:

[img]]

I hope this works. I have never added photos before. As you can see, it looks just like a residence. There is little about it's construction that you would notice from the outside.

I will try your app asap. Thanks for the interest.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: