Anabaptists Serving in Law Enforcement and the Military

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Anabaptists Serving in Law Enforcement and the Military

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:Is registering for concealed carry the first step toward a military stance?
Holdemans have a yearly call with Selective Service. On one of these recent calls, they said they would consider applying for a licence to carry a concealed weapon to disqualify someone to be a CO.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Neto wrote:Is registering for concealed carry the first step toward a military stance?
There's a lot of different reasons to carry. Here in Pennsylvania, we do not have a "concealed" carry permit. We have a License to Carry a Firearm. Now, the local sheriffs who issue the permits will advise to keep it concealed, but you're not breaking the law if you don't.

I carry a .38 spl. in my back pocket while working outside in our gardens. First two rounds are birdshot. Hollow points after that. We had a real bad critter problem in our compost bins (rats). So there's more than one reason to pack heat.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote:
There's a lot of different reasons to carry. Here in Pennsylvania, we do not have a "concealed" carry permit. We have a License to Carry a Firearm. Now, the local sheriffs who issue the permits will advise to keep it concealed, but you're not breaking the law if you don't.

I carry a .38 spl. in my back pocket while working outside in our gardens. First two rounds are birdshot. Hollow points after that. We had a real bad critter problem in our compost bins (rats). So there's more than one reason to pack heat.
I'm in the same position.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I wish for a gun and the ability to shoot when the groundhogs and skunks get too bothersome. But given my overall feeling about guns, I have never had a gun except for a short time when my brother and I were teens. We had a 22 but I never hit anything and have never wanted one since.

Several shootings among old order people really reinforce my thinking. One, when a mentally disturbed Weaverland woman shot and killed her husband. The second one involved two Groffdale hunters; one saw his friend out shooting groundhogs so he made like a groundhog as a joke and was shot and killed.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

If there is ever a draft again I wouldn’t expect it to be an easy road to CO status if you have a history of owning handguns, concealing them, applying for special firearm licences, and generally display a strong interest in firearms.

In light of that our church has taken a dim view of handguns. Our brethren in Canada deal with a lot more wild critters than we do, and they seem to do just fine with rifles.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:If there is ever a draft again I wouldn’t expect it to be an easy road to CO status if you have a history of owning handguns, concealing them, applying for special firearm licences, and generally display a strong interest in firearms.

In light of that our church has taken a dim view of handguns. Our brethren in Canada deal with a lot more wild critters than we do, and they seem to do just fine with rifles.
More likely to actually hit what they are aiming at as well.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:

I heard of a Mennonite man from close to our area that now moved to Texas looking at getting gun licensing but I hear the copperhead and rattle snakes are swarming all over done their... :?
I've walked in within 50 feet of a grizzly bear by accident and we had a stare down but I'd do it again over those snakes! I suppose now that grizzly bear hunting is illegal in BC we can expect a rise in population in the coming years and more encounters. :-|
I don't see this tying into military service.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Wade wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:

I heard of a Mennonite man from close to our area that now moved to Texas looking at getting gun licensing but I hear the copperhead and rattle snakes are swarming all over done their... :?
I've walked in within 50 feet of a grizzly bear by accident and we had a stare down but I'd do it again over those snakes! I suppose now that grizzly bear hunting is illegal in BC we can expect a rise in population in the coming years and more encounters. :-|
I don't see this tying into military service.
For us who live in the states, we still have registration for conscription, and for some of us, particularly health care professionals, there is really no age or gender limit. To qualify for exemption, you must convince a panel, likely drawn from your local area, that you are unwilling to take a life, even for self defense. To get one of these permits, you must state that you are carrying it for self defense. (Varies by state). Carrying a weapon for self defense would likely be seen as one being willing to use it in self defense, making your stated belief inconsistent with your behavior, and likely lead to a rejection of your claim.

I went through part of this process in the Vietnam era,and I thank God that conscription ended in my year.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP
Ernie wrote:Can anybody help me learn
which Anabaptist conferences, or constituencies allow people who are part of the church to serve in law enforcement and/or the military?

If you can also point me to
documents that make allowance for certain things or prohibit certain things,
that would be great.
it’s easy to b.t. this. :)
what can be found?!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I don't think openness to serving in some capacity which may involve lethal force would always follow registration for concealed carry, but I suspect that a person moving toward use of lethal force (whether as a job or as "self defense") would first acquire a handgun and register for concealed carry.

My grandpa lived all of his life on the high plains in western Oklahoma, and never had a gun at all. I grew up east of there (also in Oklahoma), and we had water moccasins all over the place, especially around the ponds, and didn't need guns, especially not pistols.

Some of my dad's younger cousins had rifles for hunting growing up, and they were refused CO status because they hunted. That was up to the local draft board, but the attitude was there already then, that if you killed animals, you shouldn't object to killing the enemies of the nation. (This was in Garfield County, Oklahoma, in the late 50's & 60's.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.