Humble Yourself - How ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Humble Yourself - How ?

Post by Sudsy »

There are some wonderful promises with being humble which I won't list here. God gives His grace to the humble so humility is very important to God. These scriptures below say that humility is something that involves us. This thread is to talk about humbleness and how we go about humbling ourselves.

A definition of biblical humility - https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/humility/

[bible]James 4,10[/bible]

[bible]Col 3,12[/bible]

[bible]Luke 14,11[/bible]

What are some practical ways on how a believer humbles themselves ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Humble Yourself - How ?

Post by Hats Off »

We are sometimes told that true humility is a complete absence of thinking about ourselves. As soon as we think we are truly humble, it is obvious that we have again missed the mark.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

When we go to another person and admit wrong, that is one way of humbling oneself.

I think of humility as viewing oneself as we actually are, or as God sees us. I consider it like a teeter toter. If we move to far in one direction, that is pride, to far in the other direction is self hate. Both of these are wrong. In the middle is where humility is.

I don't think it is fair to say that self hate is a form of pride. I think it is more accurate to say that both self hate and pride are wrong thinking and sinful.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Here is one - “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil 2:3-4).

Possible application - in conversations we run into people, even believers, who like to talk about their own interests and show little to no interest in other folks interests. The humility we are called to is to take an interest in what other's have interest in when we are able to, even just to listen, and this is especially important to opening a door for future conversations involving our faith in Jesus. Yes/no ?

Christian practise is what Anabaptists believe is extremely important, so coming up with examples should not be hard, right ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit