POLL: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Which view of God's end game most closely matches yours?

Total votes: 0

Paul
Affiliation:

Re: POLL: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Post by Paul »

Well didn't our Lord Himself say that heaven and earth would pass away?

Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

I am quite surprised I am the only one that chose the first option.. this portion of 2 Peter seems closer in describing the option 1 scenario imo.

2 Peter 3:5-13 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Also the epistle of Jude, Revelation and many other passages could be quoted concerning the endtimes being dark and judgment coming - the terrible day of the Lord has been a theme throughout Scripture ever since Enoch prophesied:

Jude:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Shouldn't we likewise warn people for the coming judgment? Pulling them out of the fire?

Jude:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Okay, if LesterB can change his vote, maybe I will too. If I do it will be 1, based on my earlier references to 1 Peter 3 and 1 Thess. 4. I read in 1 Thess 4 that Jesus will come in the cloud, that we will go to join him in the cloud and thus shall we ever be with him. I am surprised at all the JW's on here who expect to live on this earth for eternity.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I had to say other in light of this passage:
Revelation 21:
1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
0 x
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

I selected option 3, because neither of the others fits into what I think is really going on with the earth.

I do believe this earth is or will be redeemed, but I don't think it looks like it to us. In fact, I think it will look like it is getting worse and worse to us.
I think everywhere Christians will have a harder and harder time fitting in very well. Already all over the world Christians are suffering an enormous amount of persecution and death.

But because we believe the new heaven and new earth is being made even while this reality is deteriorating we build for and live as though we are in the new reality. We can "lift up our heads for our redemption draweth nigh."
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Voted 1, but would be fine with either :D
I'm surprised to see more votes for 2 than 1, honestly. I was brought up in church circles where apocalyptic destruction are the common view. Earth is Sodom and Gomorrah, waiting to be destroyed by wrath.
I can see point 2, though.. If the Creator was to destroy the earth, would He also need to destroy the rest of this dimension's universe? I have a harder time seeing that than I do seeing the destruction of Earth.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Voted 1, but would be fine with either :D
I'm surprised to see more votes for 2 than 1, honestly. I was brought up in church circles where apocalyptic destruction are the common view. Earth is Sodom and Gomorrah, waiting to be destroyed by wrath.
I can see point 2, though.. If the Creator was to destroy the earth, would He also need to destroy the rest of this dimension's universe? I have a harder time seeing that than I do seeing the destruction of Earth.
I grew up with #1 as well KingdomBuilder.

It was a very strong, and somewhat traumatic, teaching from my youth - bolstered by evangelistic films like "A thief in the Night" and lots of literalistic teaching about the Great Tribulation that scared me into going forward a number of times at evangelistic meetings over the years of my childhood.

Last week I had actually written out the narrative that was in my head as a young person, and posted it here - but later I decided that it might not have been an edifying read for some. I've still got it saved electronically - and would share it if anyone has interest - PM me.

Anyway...I have grown to see things quite differently now - in good part as a result of reading scripture modeled after the approach Jesus used. Also - the whole thing has left me with some strong conviction about Child Evangelism.

The change has been transformational in how I understand the Christian life!
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I chose 3 as well and I think for similar reasons as to what has already been said. I could go with no 2 except that I do not think it will be this earth that is restored or anything like it. I expect the New Heaven and the New Earth to be a totally different dimension altogether. Having said that I also see Jesus reigning in his Kingdom right here and now and there is a sense where we as Christians are already part of that Kingdom. A very real sense. Death for the Christian is simply a passing from this very restricted and limited dimension governed by time to a place with God where time shall be no more.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

appleman2006 wrote:I chose 3 as well and I think for similar reasons as to what has already been said. I could go with no 2 except that I do not think it will be this earth that is restored or anything like it. I expect the New Heaven and the New Earth to be a totally different dimension altogether. Having said that I also see Jesus reigning in his Kingdom right here and now and there is a sense where we as Christians are already part of that Kingdom. A very real sense. Death for the Christian is simply a passing from this very restricted and limited dimension governed by time to a place with God where time shall be no more.
I basically agree with appleman2006 and selected 3 but noticed nothing was said of hell as a place of unending torment for those who do not accept the gift of eternal life. In this area I do not follow the more traditional view and believe the destruction of the old will include mankind who has not been given the gift of immortality and after a just judgment and treatment for his deeds will be destroyed. Imo, there is no purpose for God to issue non-ending punishing and eternal punishment will be a destruction which is eternal in the sense there is no reversing it. I think those who go so far as suggesting we will even look upon those in an unending state of torment and will approve of their state is an awful view of God and our eternal existence with God. We invite others now to the banquet table, so to speak, to receive the gift of eternal life that Jesus made available. God then works in them and with them to be a light in this world of darkness.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

appleman2006 wrote:I expect the New Heaven and the New Earth to be a totally different dimension altogether.
Me too. That's why have no problem with maintaining parts of the view I was brought up with. I do expect and believe in a judgement that pours wrath like water, one that will devour the wicked and all that they've tainted.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do