POLL: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Which view of God's end game most closely matches yours?

Total votes: 0

Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

POLL: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Post by Dan Z »

In a discussion on partisanship from the political thread ( :shock: ), the following exchange occurred between Josh and Me:
Josh wrote:
Dan Z wrote: People gathering together around noble ideas is the way positive change happens. It's what ended slavery and segregation. It is what originally enshrined religious freedom into our constitution. It reminds me of the Margaret Mead quote: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Should we want to “change the world”? The prince of this world is leading it to death and decay in his battle against the Lord. As ambassadors of a heavenly kingdom, we are here to win souls for our King, but we aren’t going to “change the world”.
This little snippet raises some HUGE and foundational questions about what God's end game here on Earth, and what our role is in the whole thing as followers of Jesus. (FYI, I have apparently come to see things quite differently than Josh).

With many variations, there seem to be two major themes within Bible-believing Christianity (and on MN) regarding the fate of the earth, and consequentially our calling as Christians. I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but to get the ball rolling, here's my summary of these two perspectives:
  • 1) Earth is a lost cause! Satan & sin have put the world into a death spiral, and the Earth and those who choose against Christ are destined for destruction. But, by the mercy of God, Jesus through the power of his death and resurrection will save the few who believe, and take them away to his eternal Kingdom - which is in Heaven. Our job as Christians is to live lives bearing witness to Christ, inviting all to repent and believe so that they too may be saved and know God and experience the joy of eternity in Heaven with Him.

2) Earth will be redeemed! Jesus came to usher in his never-ending Kingdom "on Earth as it is in Heaven." Through the power of his death and resurrection he has already broken the strongholds of sin and Satan, and has set the stage for his ultimate victory - when he will punish his enemies and banish sin and death, so that we can spend eternity with Him in a Heaven and Earth made new again. Thus, our job is to invite others to give their lives to Christ so that we, together, might follow his ways and work both spiritually & temporally for the furtherance of His Kingdom until he returns to set all things right.
I recognize this is potentially a very complex issue, and I would hope we could keep the discussion "out of the weeds" as much as possible (e.g. minor details of eschatology).

So...make your choice on the poll, and let's jump in and discuss!
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Post by lesterb »

I voted other, because I think it will be somewhat a combination of the two. I would lean closest to the second one, except that almost leaves the impression of post-millenialism or its modern equivalent, dominion theology.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Ì don`t know what to choose - I was inclined to pick the third option. I believe 1 Thess 4: 13-17, noting especially verse 17. I also believe 2 Peter 3. These scriptures give some definition to end times for me.
1 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

lesterb wrote:I voted other, because I think it will be somewhat a combination of the two. I would lean closest to the second one, except that almost leaves the impression of post-millenialism or its modern equivalent, dominion theology.
I do think there is an Anabaptist take on Kingdom Theology that is different from the power-wielding of Dominion Theology and Reconstructionism. That's why I put the topic in this forum.

This raises a good point however - so... to make sure there is no question that this is Christ's doing (not ours) I added a statement in #2 about his returning to "set all things right". I think his return is implicit in #1.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: POLL: What on Earth is God up to...and what is our role in the process?

Post by Josh »

I believe in a new heaven and a new earth and a resurrection with a king who will reconcile his whole creation back to himself. He has already begun that work but it’s not yet finished.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I would say number 2.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Dan Z wrote:
lesterb wrote:I voted other, because I think it will be somewhat a combination of the two. I would lean closest to the second one, except that almost leaves the impression of post-millenialism or its modern equivalent, dominion theology.
I do think there is an Anabaptist take on Kingdom Theology that is different from the power-wielding of Dominion Theology and Reconstructionism. That's why I put the topic in this forum.

This raises a good point however - so... to make sure there is no question that this is Christ's doing (not ours) I added a statement in #2 about his returning to "set all things right". I think his return is implicit in #1.
Okay, I changed my vote to number 2 in light of this.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Are you interested in only officially Anabaptist replies Dan?
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I voted 2, but often think 1 is more likely seeing the state of the world around us. I really don't know.
0 x
Dan Z

Post by Dan Z »

Valerie wrote:Are you interested in only officially Anabaptist replies Dan?
Any reply is welcome Valerie, and might be helpful for comparison - although I'm ultimately interested in how Anabaptist theology handles the topic in the end.
0 x