Mennos moving... Are there usually Bros who own/rent to other Bros only?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Mennos moving... Are there usually Bros who own/rent to other Bros only?

Post by Chris »

It seems way different than just how "normal" (quotes emphasized) people do it.

I'm curious as a NMB how most Mennonites move from place to place. From what I have witnessed, it seems that a family starts showing up at a new church, sometimes commuting at tremendous distances to be there on Sunday.

Then they move. They usually seem to always have some kind of home "waiting for them" but always the home SEEMS to belong to another at the church they are going to. Such as a brother at church will start renting to the family. Never does the home seem to be on an MLS listing or anything else public. There always seems to be somebody with some kind of home for rent/sale.

Is this typical? Are home sales to Mennos usually between bros? What about Amish homes? Are Amish homes typically listed with MLS? See I question as I look around Millersburg OH at various properties (not moving just looking) that there isn't much available with 5+ acres. So if a new family were to move there and put the "word out" are they likely to run into bros with rental homes or homes/farms for sale that would never make it to MLS?

I'm super curious about this.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Mennos moving... Are there usually Bros who own/rent to other Bros only?

Post by Hats Off »

It doesn't really seem to work that way in our community - I have had a house for sale/rent for four years and can't attract a buyer or good renter.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Chris wrote:It seems way different than just how "normal" (quotes emphasized) people do it.

I'm curious as a NMB how most Mennonites move from place to place. From what I have witnessed, it seems that a family starts showing up at a new church, sometimes commuting at tremendous distances to be there on Sunday.

Then they move. They usually seem to always have some kind of home "waiting for them" but always the home SEEMS to belong to another at the church they are going to. Such as a brother at church will start renting to the family. Never does the home seem to be on an MLS listing or anything else public. There always seems to be somebody with some kind of home for rent/sale.

Is this typical? Are home sales to Mennos usually between bros? What about Amish homes? Are Amish homes typically listed with MLS? See I question as I look around Millersburg OH at various properties (not moving just looking) that there isn't much available with 5+ acres. So if a new family were to move there and put the "word out" are they likely to run into bros with rental homes or homes/farms for sale that would never make it to MLS?

I'm super curious about this.
I don't know what MLS is, but we live here in Holmes County (of which Millersburg is the county seat), and auctions for properties are quite commonly listed in local papers (such as The Bargain Hunter) by sellers who are Amish, Mennonite, and, of course, "English". There aren't as many right now because of the winter season, but there will be a lot of them in a month or so. (They are usually start listing a sale at least around a month or so before the date, with an open house date if the property includes one.) There is also a pretty good sized section of properties for sale through realtors, even now.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

MLS = Multiple Listing Service (I think)
0 x