Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Readers Digest?

Post by Ernie »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:
Martin wrote:
I don't know where I have been all my life, but I grew up in W-F and was a member of Eastern for 13 years and never heard of a restriction against Readers Digest. I personally subscribed to it years ago and if I am not mistaken we would have gotten it at my home when I was a boy.
BA, that's two of us. Growing up we had the RD, National Geographic, Time, and the Washington Post and others. And I remember my great uncles and aunts getting all of the above. Also, we didn't do Rod and Staff and called "The Christian Contender" the Christian Contentions. One of my cousins recently told me that his biggest problem with R&D math was that with enough prayer 1+1=5. So, Ernie did say the "Readers Digest would be seen by most Ultra Conservatives as having enough worldly influence that it wouldn’t be worth reading". I think the "most" part could be an inaccurate stereotype for W-F as are other statements.
I always felt that W-F was ultra conservative in areas such as dress but were rather progressive in areas such as education and technology. Of course, they were opposed to "higher education" except that in the Clarence Fretz era it was encouraged that the school teachers have a college education. Today they are pushing back on the internet issue which is understandable but other than that, the latest thing out is OK for business.

This is a whole other discussion but they tend to compartmentalize there lives with "business" coming under a different set of standards that the rest of their lives. This idea is not exclusive to W-F
Josh wrote:I think Ernie picked Readers’ Digest not to single out a particular publication but rather to showcase how different groups approach a variety of literature.
That is correct.

My comment about "most ultra-conservtives" should have been "the majority".
When I say "the majority" of ultra conservatives, I'm not referring to the majority in each conference or fellowship, but rather what it would look like across the whole of this constituency.

And no, I didn't say there is a restriction against Readers Digest, but it is quite common for ministers to talk about the importance of wholesome reading material, and Readers Digest would not be one of the publications they are thinking of.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Readers Digest?

Post by steve-in-kville »

BA, that's two of us. Growing up we had the RD, National Geographic, Time, and the Washington Post and others.
My wife's mom had Nat Geo's going back to the mid-70's. She stopped getting it, though.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!