Acceptable Music

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: Acceptable Music

Post by cmbl »

Soloist wrote:The only thing I could see that would be remotely acceptable would be to have some sort of review of the music people purchase otherwise I wouldn’t see there being any way to have that line between the two. I have thought some of the hymns that we sing are not necessarily good songs to sing I find it a strange irony that we listen and sing songs that Martin Luther wrote.
I'd actually much rather sing Faith of Our Fathers or O Savior Bless Us Ere We Go (Catholic), or A Mighty Fortress or Jesus Thy Boundless Love to Me (Lutheran) than many of the Gospel songs we sing, even though their authors are supposedly more close to us.

Not long after I requested Jesus Thy Boundless Love to Me at song service, the song leader selected it for a Sunday morning service. It helped that my church already knew the tune. O Savior Bless Us Ere We Go is proving more difficult to introduce. :ugeek:
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wade wrote: I hope this perspective can help and I am speaking out of turn?
Some of us newcomers never learnt music or how to sing. If I never got to have prerecorded music then my family and I probably wouldn't get to sing together most days like we do. We don't listen much any more and know how to sing a few songs but the acapella hymns on CD we listened to were extremely helpful as long as the words are clear and biblical.

We bought a Hymns of the Church vol. 1 CD which is acapella and every song is one I have never heard and it is sung in some fancy way that I can't even understand the words... That is about as useless to me as secular music.
I hadn’t seen this before... wish I had. I just made the same mistake thinking I’d learn how to sing them. This isn’t praise in my eyes but entertainment.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

RZehr wrote:I would like this thread to be only open to people who are, or have been, or working towards being a member at a plain conservative church that has written standards on music that their members can listen to. In other words people who have some experience in this area are who I’m looking for.

We are a starting a new church plant and are discussing music. Our current standard says only accapella music is acceptable for our members to listen to.
We feel that there is some accapella music that is unacceptable, but our current standard allows it because it is accapella. And there is instrumental music that we feel is acceptable.

So the question is, how would you define acceptable music that includes some instruments but not wide open, and some accapella but not wide open, if you were writing a guideline for a church?
So how did this shake out? Was the change at “H” connected to this issue y’all explored for the church plant?
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

It's still shaking out. I expect to be able to give an update in a few weeks.
The original idea/plan was to go through the old standards prior to us leaving to start the new church. Then both the original and the new church would have the same standards.
But soon after that process began, it became contentious. So the standards project was put on hold. We who were moving all left for the new church. Now the home church and our new church are going through the standards separately. We will not end up with exact same standards, but given the people are similar, the respective standards are expected to be similar as well.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I am all for acapella singing, and I think it fosters musical abilities like nothing else does, especially when men & women sit separately (because those who do not have natural musical ability can hear others close around them singing the same part). But I don't see any reason for not having simple accompaniment, at least some of the time (except that it seems to get out of hand, and then there you are, wanting to hold your ears while the 'worship band' pounds away some repetitious and shallow lines). But what troubles me is an attitude I see on the part of some strong proponents of acapella singing that just seems like some kind of pride.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A good question is how, exactly, recorded music builds Jesus' kingdom. Exactly how was Jesus' kingdom inadequate 200 or 2,000 years ago before the invention of recordings?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote:A good question is how, exactly, recorded music builds Jesus' kingdom. Exactly how was Jesus' kingdom inadequate 200 or 2,000 years ago before the invention of recordings?
Printing presses have helped a bit.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:A good question is how, exactly, recorded music builds Jesus' kingdom. Exactly how was Jesus' kingdom inadequate 200 or 2,000 years ago before the invention of recordings?
For those of us who don't sing well by ourselves, yet have no group to sing with daily, the recorded music of praise and worship is encouraging to sing along with, when I might not sing by myself--or with my wife who likes to harmonize while I can't hold my part without hearing it. Just another tool for building up the body of Christ in the current setting; it doesn't mean something else was inadequate.
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

JimFoxvog wrote:For those of us who don't sing well by ourselves, yet have no group to sing with daily, the recorded music of praise and worship is encouraging to sing along with, when I might not sing by myself--or with my wife who likes to harmonize while I can't hold my part without hearing it. Just another tool for building up the body of Christ in the current setting; it doesn't mean something else was inadequate.
You spoke my thoughts. Thank you...
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:
Printing presses have helped a bit.
I'm not sure I'd agree.
0 x