Old Order, Conservative Anabaptist, and similar churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Old Order, Conservative Anabaptist, and similar churches

Post by Josh »

cmbl wrote:
Ernie wrote: As I mention in the article above, many moderate-conservatives and progressive-conservatives are transitioning to Evangelical churches. The same is happening in some Old Order settings.
This is the first time I've seen Old Orders on that list. Are there some Old Order settings that are more transitional than others?
(I suppose "everyone" was Old Order at one point, with the exception of NMB families who come into groups that are no longer Old Order.)
An obvious example would be the Old Order Amish in Hartville, Ohio, who by 1990 were all New Order Amish. The last Amish service was I 2017. Those people are all evangelical of some variety now.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Old Order, Conservative Anabaptist, and similar churches

Post by Ernie »

cmbl wrote:
Ernie wrote: As I mention in the article above, many moderate-conservatives and progressive-conservatives are transitioning to Evangelical churches. The same is happening in some Old Order settings.
This is the first time I've seen Old Orders on that list. Are there some Old Order settings that are more transitional than others?
Yes.
Some Old Orders do quite well at retaining their culture and a large percentage of their posterity.
Others are living the American dream, buying hunting lands and cabins in the mountains, and getting involved in politics. Their posterity are being well groomed for Evangelical churches.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"