Plain Dress Evolution

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Plain Dress Evolution

Post by Heirbyadoption »

It varies from group to group, but yes, literally everything can be regulated from haircut styles to glasses styles to hat styles to hat brim lengths to broadfall pant styles to shawl lengths and colors to the exact cut of coverings and bonnets to styles and colors of shoes to acceptable colors of stockings/hose to the color or style of vehicle to the types of occupation to you name it. If I recall right, you are in a more moderate Brethren church up north of us - its not just Amish and Mennos, but Brethren Old Orders are not exempt from this either (though you may not have much/any interaction with them). Haven't heard of plaid boxers being regulated yet, though...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The viewpoint is that it’s better to regulate fashions than let the world and fashion industry dictate styles to us.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote:The viewpoint is that it’s better to regulate fashions than let the world and fashion industry dictate styles to us.
To paraphrase, the underlying assumption is that if the church does not regulate fashion, then the world and the fashion industry will dictate styles to the church.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I worked for a EPMC employer for many years.... rubbed shoulders with many anabaptsist folks. Seen a lot of things regulated, but never eye glasses.

(remind me to tell the "CB radio super-glued channel knob" story sometime)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote:I worked for a EPMC employer for many years.... rubbed shoulders with many anabaptsist folks. Seen a lot of things regulated, but never eye glasses.

(remind me to tell the "CB radio super-glued channel knob" story sometime)
Similar to the sawed-off radio antenna, the duct taped radio dial, or the ones where the make and model emblems are blacked out with paint or permanent markers, I presume?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I have used black magic marker to try and cover up the advertising logo on my favorite ball cap. :D
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Hats Off wrote:I have used black magic marker to try and cover up the advertising logo on my favorite ball cap. :D
The Menno stores around here would be glad to sell you a plain black, navy, pine green, or dark brown ball cap with no logo...
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I have used black magic marker to try and cover up the advertising logo on my favorite ball cap. :D
The Menno stores around here would be glad to sell you a plain black, navy, pine green, or dark brown ball cap with no logo...
The key word there is sell, right Hats Off? :)
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

appleman2006 wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:
The key word there is sell, right Hats Off? :)
Step right up, 1/2 off today! Just an arm and leg!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I am Mennonite - when I am given something, I try to make use of it. A Tee shirt with letting can be worn in bed or underneath a dark shirt but a cap doesn't work like that so the magic marker trick shows that I tried even if it doesn't completely cover up. :oops: And it wouldn't do to buy a cap cause I rarely wear one, only around home; the rest of the time my hat is on, not off.
0 x