Plain Dress Evolution

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Plain Dress Evolution

Post by Ernie »

Heirbyadoption wrote:It varies from group to group, but yes, literally everything can be regulated from haircut styles to glasses styles to hat styles to hat brim lengths to broadfall pant styles to shawl lengths and colors to the exact cut of coverings and bonnets to styles and colors of shoes to acceptable colors of stockings/hose to the color or style of vehicle to the types of occupation to you name it. If I recall right, you are in a more moderate Brethren church up north of us - its not just Amish and Mennos, but Brethren Old Orders are not exempt from this either (though you may not have much/any interaction with them). Haven't heard of plaid boxers being regulated yet, though...
Some ultra conservatives have given public admonition regarding wearing nightwear. The thought is that you can tell what is in a person's heart if he looks for ways to express his true colors (pun intended) with clothes he is not allowed to wear in public.

I'm sure that said preachers would not appreciate staying overnight at someone's place and observe the host walking down the hall in "loud colored" plaid PJ/s.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Our former Prime Minister, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, said at one time that the government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation. What I wear or don't wear in the bedroom is private business. I am careful how I dress when their is company in the house.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
Josh wrote:The viewpoint is that it’s better to regulate fashions than let the world and fashion industry dictate styles to us.
To paraphrase, the underlying assumption is that if the church does not regulate fashion, then the world and the fashion industry will dictate styles to the church.
Observation would lend some credence to that thought process.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I feel confident defending that assumption.

For those who don’t have their church dictate fashion and style choices, who does dictate them to you?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

The Scriptures and the Holy Spirit are theoretically sufficient. The above premise, however, seems to presume to dictate a limitation of the Spirit's operation to corporate context. Based on observation, I disagree at least with that limiting.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote:The Scriptures and the Holy Spirit are theoretically sufficient. The above premise, however, seems to presume to dictate a limitation of the Spirit's operation to corporate context. Based on observation, I disagree at least with that limiting.
Where can I see this ideal body of believers "following the Spirit" who don't succumb to worldly trends?

It may be difficult to see from your perspective because you haven't spent time in liberal or mainstream-evangelical settings.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Heirbyadoption wrote:The Scriptures and the Holy Spirit are theoretically sufficient. The above premise, however, seems to presume to dictate a limitation of the Spirit's operation to corporate context. Based on observation, I disagree at least with that limiting.
Theoretically being the key word - it should be so but in real life it usually takes something more, especially if we have been used to having guidance from the church.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote:
Where can I see this ideal body of believers "following the Spirit" who don't succumb to worldly trends.
Perhaps its just the lack of emotion/body language online, but your response feels awfully confrontational for some reason. Perhaps its just my imagination... Anywho, I don't recall anybody mentioning some "ideal group" (again, that seems almost sarcastic, but I'll try to relegate it once again to my overactive imagination) My mind goes to more various families and individuals, and my own personal testimony. And I've never met any Christians, worldly or Plain or inbetween, who aren't influenced by SOME worldly trends, but I was under the impression we were talking more specifically about who dictates our style in dress... Was I mistaken?

And as for:
It may be difficult to see from your perspective because you haven't spent time in liberal or mainstream-evangelical settings.
I'm reminded of a young convert who was told he would never fully understand Anabaptist issues because he'd not been born among them, and how he felt condescended to. I'm afraid you've been rather misled somehow as to the extent of my time spent in mainstream/evangelical settings... Some of us have actually left the shelter of our naive Anabaptist enclaves more than you might presume, so no, it isn't that it's difficult for us to see, its actually educated disagreement.
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Will try to answer your question nevertheless, but will have to wait a bit. We are headed to evening plans now.
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

There are some verses relevant to whether external man-made rules are necessary, or if living in the Spirit is sufficient.

Colossians 2:22 - These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings.

Galatians 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 5:13, 16: For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another... But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

There's also Romans 14.

From NT evidence, it seems Christians have freedom on these kinds of outward things/activities that are not addressed in Scripture unless it causes others to stumble or offend.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God