Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to discuss Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches as categorized by Stephen Scott in his book, An Introduction to Older and Conservative Mennonite Groups.

This designation would include conferences such as Conservative Mennonite Conference (CMC) and Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations (AMEC).

Schools: Rosedale Bible College

Theological Conservatives-
The majority of this group would not typically dress differently than general society and would not have different music styles than general society. However, they would still have only male pastors and would tend to be “conservative” in the same way that Southern Baptists would be conservative. A few members might wear a small head covering which would put them in the “Progressive (Fundamental) Conservative” category.
The dominant peer-pressure in a theological-conservative setting is to have church much like Southern Baptists and other conservative Protestant evangelicals in North America, yet retain a few Anabaptist distinctives such as non-resistance and community.

Theologically Conservative Mennonites 1

Theologically Conservative Mennonites 2
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by joshuabgood »

I think I would throw most of Lancaster conference, which is separating from MCUSA, in this category. The vast majority of their churches are as you described.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:I think I would throw most of Lancaster conference, which is separating from MCUSA, in this category. The vast majority of their churches are as you described.
I would throw a lot of the congregations that left Virginia Mennonite Conference and are now independent in this category as well (or in the Mountain Valley Mennonite Churches group).
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:a few Anabaptist distinctives such as non-resistance and community.
My experience in the CMC is limited to some of its most progressive congregations, but I would say that there is little peer pressure left to retain non-resistance, although a non-resistant person would certainly be tolerated. A not-non-resistant person is also tolerated and issues like choosing to carry concealed weapons are left up to personal conviction.

Retaining community remains a strong distinctive of the CMC, in my experience.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

joshuabgood wrote:I think I would throw most of Lancaster conference, which is separating from MCUSA, in this category. The vast majority of their churches are as you described.
I was under the impression that female pastors were allowed but not female bishops.
Can anyone with overall knowledge comment on whether this is true and what percentage of the congregations would be open to a female pastor?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

We have a number of students from LC churches and none of them have women pastors. The congregations that do are usually also welcoming and affirming and the are joining the newer ACC conference. The LC congregations that are leaving MCUSA are almost all theogically conservative methinks. Alive, Indiantown, Erbs, Metzlers, Millport, Red Run, Meckville, Hinkletown, and a couple others I am familiar with are this way.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

joshuabgood wrote:We have a number of students from LC churches and none of them have women pastors. The congregations that do are usually also welcoming and affirming and the are joining the newer ACC conference. The LC congregations that are leaving MCUSA are almost all theogically conservative methinks. Alive, Indiantown, Erbs, Metzlers, Millport, Red Run, Meckville, Hinkletown, and a couple others I am familiar with are this way.
Martindale?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

joshuabgood wrote:The LC congregations that are leaving MCUSA are almost all theogically conservative methinks.
Lancaster Mennonite Conference as a whole has left MCUSA, effective the end of last year. My understanding is that congregations from other conferences leaving MCUSA and joining LMC (some of which are nowhere near Lancaster) far outnumber those leaving LMC in order to remain part of MCUSA.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Do some theologically conservative Mennonite churches take a position on divorce and remarriage and if so what would that position look like?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:Do some theologically conservative Mennonite churches take a position on divorce and remarriage and if so what would that position look like?
My experience (in the more progressive end of the CMC) was that divorced and remarried couples were accepted, although some individuals maintained personal convictions against this. The situation is quite similar to the approach to carrying concealed weapons for self defence.

Membership in the theological conservative world is also different. In my experience, many regular attendees are not formal members, but communion and footwashing at extended to people who are not regular members and baptism is offered upon confession of faith.

A CMC church is the only established church where I have experienced communion and footwashing together since I became a believer. The experience was quite powerful for me, and helped me come closer to Jesus and to other believers after feeling quite estranged from the church and other Mennonites.
0 x