Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Theologically Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:Do some theologically conservative Mennonite churches take a position on divorce and remarriage and if so what would that position look like?
My experience (in the more progressive end of the CMC) was that divorced and remarried couples were accepted, although some individuals maintained personal convictions against this.
From a broader perspective on CMC, divorce and remarriage would be a disqualification for ministerial responsibility. I believe a few years ago it was discovered that one of the ministers had previously been married, and he was expelled.

Membership is left to congregational discernment, and not all would accept remarried people. For those that do, generally a distinction would be made as to whether the remarriage took place before they became Christians.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

silentreader wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:We have a number of students from LC churches and none of them have women pastors. The congregations that do are usually also welcoming and affirming and the are joining the newer ACC conference. The LC congregations that are leaving MCUSA are almost all theogically conservative methinks. Alive, Indiantown, Erbs, Metzlers, Millport, Red Run, Meckville, Hinkletown, and a couple others I am familiar with are this way.
Martindale?
The whole of Martindale district, though still LC, is a class by themselves. They would fall into the moderate conservative methinks...though they are tilting toward fundamentalist conservative (BMA).

So no I wasn't thinking of the Martindale folks. (We do have many many of their students as well).
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:Do some theologically conservative Mennonite churches take a position on divorce and remarriage and if so what would that position look like?
My experience (in the more progressive end of the CMC) was that divorced and remarried couples were accepted, although some individuals maintained personal convictions against this.
From a broader perspective on CMC, divorce and remarriage would be a disqualification for ministerial responsibility. I believe a few years ago it was discovered that one of the ministers had previously been married, and he was expelled.

Membership is left to congregational discernment, and not all would accept remarried people. For those that do, generally a distinction would be made as to whether the remarriage took place before they became Christians.
This is generally true of LC I think...
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

joshuabgood wrote:
silentreader wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:We have a number of students from LC churches and none of them have women pastors. The congregations that do are usually also welcoming and affirming and the are joining the newer ACC conference. The LC congregations that are leaving MCUSA are almost all theogically conservative methinks. Alive, Indiantown, Erbs, Metzlers, Millport, Red Run, Meckville, Hinkletown, and a couple others I am familiar with are this way.
Martindale?
The whole of Martindale district, though still LC, is a class by themselves. They would fall into the moderate conservative methinks...though they are tilting toward fundamentalist conservative (BMA).

So no I wasn't thinking of the Martindale folks. (We do have many many of their students as well).
That was somewhat my experience, but I haven't had contact for a few years.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown