Progressive Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Progressive Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote:Can anybody tell me what the big influential household names are in the progressive conservative world?
Dave Ramsey? Francis Chan? Nelson Coblentz? Steve Stutzman?

For the older generation...

For the middle aged folks...

For the millennials...

Also, what percentage of progressive conservatives are familiar with names like David Bercot, Dean Taylor, and John D. Martin?

https://www.churchplantersforum.org/wp- ... People.pdf
page 14,15
Speaking for myself as a mid aged Progressive Conservative...the influencers have been Palmer Becker, Greg Boyd, John D Martin (sermons), Dean Taylor, F Kuruvilla, Stuart Murray, Harold Bender, Peter Hoover, Bercot, and Francis Chan and David Platt in smaller ways, and on this very board, (Barnhart, Ernie, Szdfan, Dan Z, and others). Along with that I have read Piper and Mohler extensively as well as Claiborne, Wallis, J Denny Weaver and E Stutzman, R Dreher, - though I think I have been less influenced by them. (And I have read quite a few other things here and there too many to list =).

The older crowd I would see being more influenced by Piper, MacArthur, Dobson, Graham, etc. Perhaps some J Coblentz.

The younger crowd I think it still remains to be seen. Many of them are going to EBI which is more fundamentalist and reformed in influence so I think Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Mohler, Grudem, would be more the influencers.

In the more Amish influenced pockets one is more likely to see S Stutzman and N Coblentz. (Sorry Steve if you are reading this I just don't see you much in the BMA churches on the north side of the county =).
0 x
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Post by QuietObserver »

joshuabgood wrote: The younger crowd I think it still remains to be seen. Many of them are going to EBI which is more fundamentalist and reformed in influence so I think Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Mohler, Grudem, would be more the influencers.
I don't understand the appeal of reformed theology. I'm guessing BMA doesn't believe in Calvinism. If BMA isn't Calvinistic, what part of Reformed theology do they keep?
0 x
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

QuietObserver wrote:
joshuabgood wrote: The younger crowd I think it still remains to be seen. Many of them are going to EBI which is more fundamentalist and reformed in influence so I think Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Mohler, Grudem, would be more the influencers.
I don't understand the appeal of reformed theology. I'm guessing BMA doesn't believe in Calvinism. If BMA isn't Calvinistic, what part of Reformed theology do they keep?
I think a big part of the appeal is a sense of security. The sovereignty of God and Divine Command Theory of reformed theology offer the appearance of a stabilizing factor in the current search for authenticity.

I think the reformed theology that is consistently present in many current Christian radio preachers has aided the appeal.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

joshuabgood wrote: Speaking for myself as a mid aged Progressive Conservative...the influencers have been Palmer Becker, Greg Boyd, John D Martin (sermons), Dean Taylor, F Kuruvilla, Stuart Murray, Harold Bender, Peter Hoover, Bercot, and Francis Chan and David Platt in smaller ways, and on this very board, (Barnhart, Ernie, Szdfan, Dan Z, and others). Along with that I have read Piper and Mohler extensively as well as Claiborne, Wallis, J Denny Weaver and E Stutzman, R Dreher, - though I think I have been less influenced by them. (And I have read quite a few other things here and there too many to list =).
You are very well read. What about the folks your age and a bit older who don't read a lot but may listen to Christian radio and read a few books. Who is shaping their worldview?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

You are very well read. What about the folks your age and a bit older who don't read a lot but may listen to Christian radio and read a few books. Who is shaping their worldview?
Generally I would say the older folks at my church would be influenced by Protestant/Evangelical versions of Christianity. Typically the pastors, if they quote people over the pulpit, are quoting Protestant sources. The radio preachers they would listen to and radio music are formed by Protestant/Evangelical varieties. And quite a few folks would be Fox friends and conservative talk radio sympathizers.

The one's that are "more read" would generally be sympathetic to the reformed perspective.

However, there is a movement from people with influence, to carefully consider this Protestant influence...and they (including older ones) are pushing back. For instance, Dan Z was a keynote speaker at the BMA convention around the question "Why Anabaptism?" (I personally take some joy in being the catalyst I think for connecting Dan Z (through an event I hosted) with one of our church leaders who had influence in what direction the BMA convention took.) I think his keynote message was really well received by many BMA folks.

I myself have had the opportunity to speak in several progressive conservative settings, outlining the Anabaptist vision for the 21rst century.
Last edited by joshuabgood on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote:
Generally I would say the older folks at my church would be influenced by Protestant/Evangelical versions of Christianity. Typically the pastors, if they quote people over the pulpit, are quoting Protestant sources. Typically radio preachers and music are formed by Protestant/Evangelical varieties. And quite a few folks would be Fox friends and conservative talk radio sympathizers.

The one's that are "more read" would generally be sympathetic to the reformed perspective.

However, there is a push from people with influence, to carefully consider this push...and they (including older ones) are pushing back. For instance, Dan Z was a keynote speaker at the BMA convention around the question "Why Anabaptism?" (I personally take some joy in being the catalyst I think for connecting Dan Z (through an event I hosted) with one of our church leaders who had influence in what direction the BMA convention took.) I think his keynote message was really well received by many BMA folks.

I myself have had the opportunity to speak in several progressive conservative settings, outlining the Anabaptist vision for the 21rst century.
Can you post a link to DanZ's message if there is one?
0 x
joshuabgood

Post by joshuabgood »

Last edited by joshuabgood on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

joshuabgood wrote:Sure...here you go, at an 1:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nIzz2 ... =youtu.be
Thanks
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

Besides BMA, Martinsdale district of LMC, and Keystone what other groups would be considered progressive conservative?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

twinpines wrote:Besides BMA, Martinsdale district of LMC, and Keystone what other groups would be considered progressive conservative?
South Atlantic (I think, I get them mixed up with Southeastern) and various unaffiliated churches. For example, Pickens in Pickens, SC.
0 x