Progressive Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Progressive Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:Gospel Haven (Holmes County / Millersburg, Ohio) and its affiliates would all be like minded to the A-M side of BMA.

Some Charity-background groups would be comfortable with BMA and indeed share pulpits, send them youth to DNI, and so forth. Grace Christian Fellowship (Columbiana County / Lisbon, Ohio) comes to mind.

Some people in CMC churches tell me they are generally associating with BMA churches and youth groups, not other CMC. Dayspring Mennonite (Bealeton, VA) comes to mind.

I would argue that some of these groups represent something that sits between theologically conservative and progressive conservative.
Each constituency has churches and fellowships on the edge that also affiliate in the constituency next to them. Some maintain this straddling for decades. Others just go ahead and change constituencies.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: RZehr - Which of the above congregations would be similar to BMA today?
As far as I know there are no BMA churches in Oregon for me to compare with.
What are the hallmarks of a BMA church? I’m sure there are some here that would fit the criteria.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:
Ernie wrote: RZehr - Which of the above congregations would be similar to BMA today?
What are the hallmarks of a BMA church? I’m sure there are some here that would fit the criteria.
See pictures and description on page 8.
Overview of the Plain People
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

RZehr wrote:I believe Hopewell and Wickenburg ceased to be a part of BMF many, many years ago. (If in fact they ever were.)
I was a member of Hopewell when I lived in Oregon. As far as I know Hopewell was never part of BMF, and has been independent ever since it left the Pacific Coast Conference of what is now MC-USA in the '60s. Hopewell has worked closely with both BMF and Western Fellowship churches over the years, much as Ernie describes above. (I remember visiting ministers from quite a variety of affiliations in the pulpit at Hopewell, from Lancaster Conference to "the Tennessee churches" and everything in between.)
Ernie wrote:Which of the above congregations would be similar to BMA today?
It's been several years since I've had any contact with folks from Brownsville or Sheridan, but as of 8–10 years ago I would have considered them very much like BMA churches.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote:
RZehr wrote:
See pictures and description on page 8.
Overview of the Plain People
I would consider Brownsville, Sheridan, and Riverside all to fit.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:I would consider Brownsville, Sheridan, and Riverside all to fit.
What would you classify Rivertree?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Can anybody tell me what the big influential household names are in the progressive conservative world?
Dave Ramsey? Francis Chan? Nelson Coblentz? Steve Stutzman?

For the older generation...

For the middle aged folks...

For the millennials...

Also, what percentage of progressive conservatives are familiar with names like David Bercot, Dean Taylor, and John D. Martin?

https://www.churchplantersforum.org/wp- ... People.pdf
page 14,15
Last edited by Ernie on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I hear such folk speak highly of Elizabeth Elliot.

(I assume you mean BMA etc type people)
0 x
SJS
Affiliation: BMA

Post by SJS »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:I would consider Brownsville, Sheridan, and Riverside all to fit.
The Sheridan church just joined BMA.
0 x
SJS
Affiliation: BMA

Post by SJS »

[quote="Ernie"]Does anyone know the current BMA membership?

As of January of this year, BMA had 69 congregations, 11 church plants, 3,759 total members.
0 x