Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
francis
Affiliation:

Re: Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by francis »

I have a question re: what counts as conservative, previously I assumed that SMBI was fairly conservative, but just now I came across this video of SMBI folks singing a modern evangelical tune with an electric piano. Maybe it's just mislabeled, but when I've gone to Beachy and other moderate churches they're 100% acapella. Is this different because it's not a church service? [video][/video]
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

francis wrote:Is this different because it's not a church service?
Correct. Many moderates would allow this in more informal events.

Many progressive conservatives would allow instrumental accompaniment in regular church services
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

francis wrote:I have a question re: what counts as conservative, previously I assumed that SMBI was fairly conservative, but just now I came across this video of SMBI folks singing a modern evangelical tune with an electric piano. Maybe it's just mislabeled, but when I've gone to Beachy and other moderate churches they're 100% acapella. Is this different because it's not a church service? [video][/video]
I suspect this is mislabeled. I have seen SMBI presentations before, and they are nothing like that, at least as far as the instrument goes. The modern evangelical tune would be just fine, if sung acapella. Of course, I have not seen every presentation they have made. Maybe they change what they do when they are in a different setting, but somehow I tend to doubt that.

To give you some context, my KMF church just turned down an offer of a free piano. Now if a mennonite turns down ANYTHING free, take notice of this.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:I suspect this is mislabeled.
Possibly. It's unclear whether this is a group of SMBI students singing together, or if there are others present as part of a more formal service. The description does refer to Sunday morning, but a normal church service probably wouldn't have someone wandering around recording a video.
Judas Maccabeus wrote: The modern evangelical tune would be just fine, if sung acapella.
I'm quite sure this is not mislabeled:

[video][/video]
Last edited by ohio jones on Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

francis wrote:I have a question re: what counts as conservative, previously I assumed that SMBI was fairly conservative, but just now I came across this video of SMBI folks singing a modern evangelical tune with an electric piano. Maybe it's just mislabeled, but when I've gone to Beachy and other moderate churches they're 100% acapella. Is this different because it's not a church service?
If that's a group from SMBI, it would just have been something they did on their own time - definitely not an official SMBI presentation. Are you asking because it looks like a service, or because you're wondering about any use of instruments, or the *electric* piano in particular? When I was there in 2010 church services and choir presentations were always acapella, but informal singing for fun often included a guitar, piano or violin. One group recorded this video:

[video][/video]
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Progressives are comfortable with instruments anywhere (and some SMBI students are progressives).

Moderates will often feature instruments in anything that is not formal, and won’t have a lot of anxiety about having instruments inside a church sanctuary.

Intermediates will play some instruments but wouldn’t even think to play one and record a video of it in their church sanctuary. They would be okay with doing this in someone else’s church, though.

Ultras, generally speaking, ban instruments anywhere, as do Holdemans.

Since most instruments are pretty big and take a lot of practice to learn to play, this is an area where few youth break the rules in secret.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:I suspect this is mislabeled.
Possibly. It's unclear whether this is a group of SMBI students singing together, or if there are others present as part of a more formal service. The description does refer to Sunday morning, but a normal church service probably wouldn't have someone wandering around recording a video.
Judas Maccabeus wrote: The modern evangelical tune would be just fine, if sung acapella.
I'm quite sure this is not mislabeled:

[video][/video]
That would be consistent with what I have seen.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MattY wrote: If that's a group from SMBI, it would just have been something they did on their own time - definitely not an official SMBI presentation. Are you asking because it looks like a service, or because you're wondering about any use of instruments, or the *electric* piano in particular? When I was there in 2010 church services and choir presentations were always acapella, but informal singing for fun often included a guitar, piano or violin.
Correct.
Judas Maccabeus wrote: That would be consistent with what I have seen.
J.M.
Yes. Moderate Conservative schools would only do acapella performances. Individuals could do instrumental performances if they wished as long as it was not an "official" ministry of the church.
Josh wrote:Progressives are comfortable with instruments anywhere (and some SMBI students are progressives).

Moderates will often feature instruments in anything that is not formal, and won’t have a lot of anxiety about having instruments inside a church sanctuary.

Intermediates will play some instruments but wouldn’t even think to play one and record a video of it in their church sanctuary. They would be okay with doing this in someone else’s church, though.

Ultras, generally speaking, ban instruments anywhere, as do Holdemans.
Correct. The Moderate position is similar to the CoC position. No instruments at formal worship times!
However, most are fine with their people attending an instrumental concert in non-formal situations. Some even form their own bands.
The big difference is that SMBI would not invite a rock band to provide entertainment for students at school, whereas schools like Harding University do.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Karstan78
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Karstan78 »

Ignorant person here, in most of the videos I’ve seen around this forum I’ve noticed there’s mixed seating everywhere in both church and special settings. Do many churches not practice separate seating at all?
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Karstan78 wrote:Ignorant person here, in most of the videos I’ve seen around this forum I’ve noticed there’s mixed seating everywhere in both church and special settings. Do many churches not practice separate seating at all?
I only know of one church that does that, it's a pilgrim mennonite church in the bronx called "light of truth" but even more conservative beachy churches don't do that in my (admittedly limited) experience.
0 x