Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
lesterb wrote: And don't forget John Kaufman of sleeping preacher fame. What is it with all these "Johns" in church history?
And so what category of Mennoniteism was John Howard Yoder from ?
John Howard is in a category all by himself. As a Mennonite, I would say he was Amish. His great, great,(I am nut sure how many greats) great grandfather was one of the leading Amish in the Amish Minister's Meetings, leading the progressive side..
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
lesterb wrote: And don't forget John Kaufman of sleeping preacher fame. What is it with all these "Johns" in church history?
And so what category of Mennoniteism was John Howard Yoder from ?
John Howard is in a category all by himself. As a Mennonite, I would say he was Amish. His great, great,(I am nut sure how many greats) great grandfather was one of the leading Amish in the Amish Minister's Meetings, leading the progressive side..
Interesting. One of the first books I read on Anabaptism, and have my own copy, is The Politics of Jesus. Almost time for a re-read.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

With the scandal surrounding JHY, I haven't decided if I will re-read his books or not. I liked his messages but have to reconcile that with his life.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:With the scandal surrounding JHY, I haven't decided if I will re-read his books or not. I liked his messages but have to reconcile that with his life.
Do you read the Psalms ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Yes - although I struggle somewhat with David. The hurt with John Howard is fresher - different. All I have read on John Howard's part is how he chose to defend himself.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote:
Hats Off wrote:With the scandal surrounding JHY, I haven't decided if I will re-read his books or not. I liked his messages but have to reconcile that with his life.
Do you read the Psalms ?
David experienced repentance (e.g. Psalm 51). I hope Yoder did too, but if so, we never seem to hear about it.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I've just finished reading his book The Politics of Jesus and did not know about the scandal. I had to look it up and it's indeed grievous. However the book was very good. Perhaps it's a case of Balaam's donkey and King David as well as other sinners: God uses many kinds of avenues to give us His message. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Ernie wrote:This is a thread to discuss Moderate-Conservative Mennonite Churches as categorized by Stephen Scott in his book, An Introduction to Older and Conservative Mennonite Groups.

This designation would include conferences and fellowships such as:

Cumberland Valley Mennonite Church (CV)
Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship (MAF)
Midwest Mennonite Fellowship (MW)
South Atlantic Mennonite Conference (SA)
Southeastern Mennonite Conference (SMC)

Post Secondary Schools: Maranatha Bible School (MN); Sharon Mennonite Bible Institute (PA); Faith Builders Educational Programs
Is this where you would put Keystone?

J.M.
Josh wrote:I would definitely put some of Keystone (eg York) in the Moderate category, not the Progressive category.

Starting at about 1:45 in this video, you can notice the transitions that are taking place in some parts of the Keystone Fellowship churches from Moderate to Progressive.

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

And if you are interested in another picture of how these transitions go...

Here is an example: Straight cut suit and then a Harley ride...
To those in the midst of these transitions, there is nothing ironic or concerning about this at all.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Ernie wrote:This is a thread to discuss Moderate-Conservative Mennonite Churches as categorized by Stephen Scott in his book, An Introduction to Older and Conservative Mennonite Groups.

This designation would include conferences and fellowships such as:

Cumberland Valley Mennonite Church (CV)
Mid-Atlantic Mennonite Fellowship (MAF)
Midwest Mennonite Fellowship (MW)
South Atlantic Mennonite Conference (SA)
Southeastern Mennonite Conference (SMC)

Post Secondary Schools: Maranatha Bible School (MN); Sharon Mennonite Bible Institute (PA); Faith Builders Educational Programs
Is this where you would put Keystone?

J.M.
Josh wrote:I would definitely put some of Keystone (eg York) in the Moderate category, not the Progressive category.

Starting at about 1:45 in this video, you can notice the transitions that are taking place in some parts of the Keystone Fellowship churches from Moderate to Progressive.

What about 1:13 with little boys wearing shotgun shells?
0 x