Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Moderate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:And if you are interested in another picture of how these transitions go...

Here is an example: Straight cut suit and then a Harley ride...
To those in the midst of these transitions, there is nothing ironic or concerning about this at all.
At least it was a very plain bike. :)

Weddings are always an interesting dynamic to show as there are most likely many different groups of people represented there.
But yes I will admit I would of fit in quite well personally at those weddings. Not everything done there would of been my personal choice but had I been a guest I would of been rejoicing with then in their day and probably spent very little time worrying about exactly how they looked or how they did things. I suppose that makes me pretty progressive.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Oh I did have one beef. They were not wearing helmets. :shock:
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:And if you are interested in another picture of how these transitions go...

To those in the midst of these transitions, there is nothing ironic or concerning about this at all.

Weddings are always an interesting dynamic to show as there are most likely many different groups of people represented there.
But yes I will admit I would of fit in quite well personally at those weddings. Not everything done there would of been my personal choice but had I been a guest I would of been rejoicing with then in their day and probably spent very little time worrying about exactly how they looked or how they did things. I suppose that makes me pretty progressive.
It’s hard to describe how difficult this is for seekers to figure out. Are we supposed to keep our red sportbike or not?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:

It’s hard to describe how difficult this is for seekers to figure out. Are we supposed to keep our red sportbike or not?
Evidently you should wear helmets.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

We are confused culture. It's obvious to everyone except us. The Harley is one example but the decorations, fancy candles, hair, clothes, et al present the same dilemma.

Josh
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:We are confused culture. It's obvious to everyone except us. The Harley is one example but the decorations, fancy candles, hair, clothes, et al present the same dilemma.

Josh
What’s the right path for seekers? I have witnessed a few friends of mine muddle thru the confusion for a few years and then eventually absorb it themselves too. It doesn’t seem like a good thing.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Would it help said dilemma if I repainted the tank on my poor old commuter scooter black instead of its current shade of 1980s beat up, faded red? :cry:
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Would it help said dilemma if I repainted the tank on my poor old commuter scooter black instead of its current shade of 1980s beat up, faded red? :cry:
Well, that wouldn’t be the moderate approach.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Ah, behold yon poor moderates. Speaking of approaches, do not the Scriptures remind us that "how shall they hear except it be preached?" And do not they ask, "whom shall I send, and who will go for us?"
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Josh wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:

If you were joining our group it would all depend. It would depend on why you had the bike in the first place. What was in your heart that determined you needed a bike and since at least initially no one would know those reasons for sure except for you, no one would tell you to get rid of it. Now perhaps after you had been a part of our group for a number of years and it became very evident that it was a major idol to you, than it might be that some brother, hopefully one you had come to love and appreciate would kindly inquire as to your need of a bike. And your reaction to that would probably say volumes about what is in your heart.

But yes if you are looking for a place where everything is seen in black and white (or red) and where you no longer have to make any of your own decisions as to what God's wants in your life, than the moderate setting is not for you. It will also not be for you if you will be disappointed that everyone does not have exactly the same convictions in all areas that you do.
0 x