Intermediate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Intermediate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to discuss Intermediate-Conservative Mennonite Churches as categorized by Stephen Scott in his book, An Introduction to Older and Conservative Mennonite Groups.

This designation would include conferences and fellowships such as:

Bethel Fellowship (BF)
Haven Mennonite Fellowship (HF)
Hope Mennonite Fellowship (HMF)
Northeastern Mennonite Conference (NMC)
Pilgrim Mennonite Conference (PMC)
Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship (WC)

Intermediate Conservative Mennonites -
These folks are much like the ultra conservatives but slightly less traditional.
Like Ultra conservatives, the men would wear straight cut suits for formal occasions (when the weather is cool).
There are a few minor differences such as these ladies being allowed to wear slightly larger plaids and bigger flowers on their dresses, and the men would be more likely to sing at an open air event like this with their shirt collars open. Shoes do not need to be solid black. Ladies would wear long socks but they wouldn’t need to be black except for formal events. Short sleeve shirts for men are quite acceptable for non-formal events as well as light colored pants.
Most would allow filtered internet.
A minority of these folks might read Readers Digest.
These folks might allow pianos and organs but not stringed instruments or drums.
These folks would have limited interaction with both Ultra conservatives and the Moderate conservatives.

The dominant peer- pressure in an intermediate-conservative setting is to be conservative but more “Biblical”.

Intermediate Conservatives
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Intermediate Conservative Mennonite Churches

Post by RZehr »

I think half the Western Fellowship churches would be better fit the Moderate Conservative description.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I would feel like some of them would better fit in the ultra conservative myself...

in my observations, the less conservative the conference or fellowship is, the broader the church.

I've personally heard rumors about one of these groups splitting the fellowship as there is a progressive slide within them.
I would also find that my "intermediate" church would fit very well in the ultra conservative.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

So a group leaving the CMCO would tend to fit in with these churches?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:So a group leaving the CMCO would tend to fit in with these churches?
Yes. For example, if they were transitioning to allowing personal Internet use, they would fit in well in this constituency. It would be likely that at the same time dress standards would be slightly relaxed, such as less regulation of the size and variety of fabric prints.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote:I would feel like some of them would better fit in the ultra conservative myself...

in my observations, the less conservative the conference or fellowship is, the broader the church.

I've personally heard rumors about one of these groups splitting the fellowship as there is a progressive slide within them.
I would also find that my "intermediate" church would fit very well in the ultra conservative.
My experience is that within the spectrum of intermediates, the most conservative end "touches" the most progressive end of the ultras (and so on down the line).
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
Soloist wrote:I would feel like some of them would better fit in the ultra conservative myself...

My experience is that within the spectrum of intermediates, the most conservative end "touches" the most progressive end of the ultras (and so on down the line).
Makes for a real smooth slide pretty well all the way from Old Order to Baptist, or where ever a person ends up stopping.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

lesterb wrote:
Josh wrote:

Makes for a real smooth slide pretty well all the way from Old Order to Baptist, or where ever a person ends up stopping.
Are you suggesting you'd like to move out our way? :shock: I'd love that. :D :hug:
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Wade wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Josh wrote:
Are you suggesting you'd like to move out our way? :shock: I'd love that. :D :hug:
Well I've been putting a bit of pressure on my son to drop in and see you sometime. Their congregation is headed into outreach mode, but don't know for sure where to go. I'd love to see them start something in your area. I think you would find them a breath of fresh air in more ways than one.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:
Josh wrote:

The stopping place is no belief in Jesus at all anymore.
0 x