Sexual abuse in Churches

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Sexual abuse in Churches

Post by Reflecting »

Josh wrote:
Reflecting wrote:
francis wrote:Just as many young girls were abused, if not more. It's not some gay lobby anymore than a straight lobby. Homosexual men are not attracted to young boys anymore than heterosexual men are attracted to young girls. It's one thing to criticize the progressive wing, but kicking out progressives won't solve the abuse problem and it's dangerous to assume that.
Kicking out the progressives does solve the problem of homosexual behaviour in church, which is definitely a problem. I'm surprised francis's attitude to coddle active homosexuals and progressives.
Allow me to try to put my thoughts into my own words.
Having promoted the progressive wing may have made the problem more visible, but when a spiritual leader is willing to be sexually abusive he has gone seriously wrong a long time ago.
There are those who advocate for priests being allowed to marry as a way of lessening the problem. I am not here to advocate for or against celibacy for Catholic priests. My issue is more about his view of who God is, how we ought to treat others, what his word/vow is worth, and so on. ALL of that and more has been trampled with these violations.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

For perspectives from a conservative, a former Catholic who left the church because of the abuse scandal, I recommend Rod Dreher's columns:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... ags/abuse/
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

What do you all think about these meme I saw on Facebook recently?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:What do you all think about these meme I saw on Facebook recently?
I don't think our goal should be to condemn anyone to hell. But nobody should be kept in leadership if they have been involved in abuse. And it's hard to figure out the appropriate place for them to work out their repentance in fear and trembling.

False accusations are almost as serious and devastating as abuse, they can really destroy someone.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:
I don't think our goal should be to condemn anyone to hell. But nobody should be kept in leadership if they have been involved in abuse. And it's hard to figure out the appropriate place for them to work out their repentance in fear and trembling.

False accusations are almost as serious and devastating as abuse, they can really destroy someone.
My question would be, does Jesus' statement represent "the true biblical punishment for abusing children"?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

My question would be, does Jesus' statement represent "the true biblical punishment for abusing children"?
My answer would be "No." I believe Jesus was saying that the eternal consequences (hell fire) will be worse than being drowned.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
I don't think our goal should be to condemn anyone to hell.
Why not? The Bible does. Some preaching from the pulpit on this topic would be good.
But nobody should be kept in leadership if they have been involved in abuse. And it's hard to figure out the appropriate place for them to work out their repentance in fear and trembling.
That's why a sense of due process, a public process (instead of keeping everything private), and sunlight is good for this - and for other areas of misconduct. And that's exactly what I see in the New Testament in Matthew 18 or 1 Corinthians 5 or James. After going to someone one on one to discuss a misconduct issue, it's supposed to be aired out in public.

If we as Christians had been doing that, we would not be facing so much negative press now - the act of trying to preserve our reputations is actually what is leading to ruining them. I hope something better arises from the ashes.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote:
mike wrote:
My answer would be "No." I believe Jesus was saying that the eternal consequences (hell fire) will be worse than being drowned.
My thinking exactly.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Peregrino wrote:OK, I am definitely on board with reporting any criminal activity to law enforcement. My question is, what constitutes criminal sexual activity? Where can I find those guidelines clearly defined?
The Criminal Code in Canada sheds some light on this subject. Tho it may be a stretch to say "clearly defined" for some of us. There is a section on Sexual Offenses and another on Assaults that somewhat overlap.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I read an article written by a woman who counsels victims of sexual abuse today:

Dear dads: Your daughters told me about their assaults. This is why they never told you.
A man emailed recently in response to something I’d written about street harassment. He was so glad, he said, that his college-age daughter never experienced anything like that. Less than a day later, he wrote again. They had just talked. She told him she’d been harassed many, many times — including that week. She hadn’t ever shared this, because she wanted to protect him from her pain.

For all the stereotypes that linger about women being too fragile or emotional, these past weeks have revealed what many women already knew: A lot of effort goes into protecting men we love from bad things that happen to us. And a lot of fathers are closer to bad things than they’ll ever know.
To the father of the young woman who was assaulted by the student athlete she was hired to tutor: She never told you because she didn’t want to break your heart. But she told me, in a long email, because the memory of it was breaking her own heart and she’d spent five years replaying it.

To the father of the junior high student who was pinned down and undressed at a gathering 30 years ago: She didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to see you cry. But she told me that she still remembers every detail.

To the father of the teenager who was raped at a party. You don’t know about this, because she was certain that if you knew, you would kill her attacker and go to prison, and it would be her fault.
The entire article is worth reading. And then thinking about the reasons women and girls might have for not reporting these things if they happen in our churches. How can we create an environment where they tell us when something like this happens?
0 x