Anabaptist Evangelism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Anabaptist Evangelism

Post by Sudsy »

I have been trying to get my head around what Anabaptist evangelism is about. As many of you know my evangelism experiences come from a more confrontational, evangelical, Pentecostal/Baptist approach as my parents were unchurched and saved through their methods God used to draw people to Himself. My father became a 'hell fire' type of street preacher as well as a daily witness using gospel tracts and other means of sharing the Gospel. So, although these approaches did not always win souls, they did reach some and many more than those who do not view Christianity much from a proselytizing way of life.

Since favouring certain Anabaptist beliefs, in a less traditional way, I chose to be in an Anabaptist church but have been very puzzled at what seems to me that, generally speaking, to be a lack of interest in the salvation of others outside the church community. Not all Anabaptists but many in our local area do not expand other than through raising children to follow in their group's footsteps.

To some extent I was made to feel guilty if I didn't evangelize. Some may think that is what I am trying to do on this forum and I hope I don't come across that way.

Recently I watched this video where I could relate to someone from a similar background in evangelism. What he said was quite familiar.

You might want to jump in at the 5 minute mark and see if this was your experience if you were from an evangelical Anabaptist background. For those who were not and for those who were, do you agree with Greg's view of us all being a missionary in the way he explains how we are to reflect Christ to impact the decision of others to become a Christ follower.

This video is making me think more about the right way to evangelize. Your thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Anabaptist Evangelism

Post by Wade »

The scriptures talk about being faithful with little and then being trusted with much.
I believe at least from my limited view that those wanting to honestly commit 100% are looking for something different than someone wearing a wedding ring against the teaching of scripture, with an energy drink sitting by, and with rock and roll looking set up in the background... I know these things aren't the weightier matters but they are a turn off.
People that want to join you together in something usually care less about what you say and more about what you do.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:The scriptures talk about being faithful with little and then being trusted with much.
I believe at least from my limited view that those wanting to honestly commit 100% are looking for something different than someone wearing a wedding ring against the teaching of scripture, with an energy drink sitting by, and with rock and roll looking set up in the background... I know these things aren't the weightier matters but they are a turn off.
People that want to join you together in something usually care less about what you say and more about what you do.
Agree. I doubt the Pharisees in Jesus time with all their piety in dress and religious acts drew people to want to obey God. As Jesus told them many of their acts were to impress people that they were holy and what they lacked most was mercy, love and forgiveness. What impressed the world in the early church was the Christians exceptional love for one another and love for those that were despised and written off by the world. It wasn't just social concerns as they took the message of the Gospel along with them. It wasn't about outward adornments that made them stand out as having something real but rather what God was doing to their natures that reflected God's light.

If you haven't yet but get a chance to watch that video, I would like to read your opinion on whether or not Greg's view of Anabaptist evangelizing is what you believe. I hope some here might get beyond the modern style of Boyd and listen to what is being said. I plan to watch the video you gave tonight. Thankyou.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Wade wrote:...with an energy drink sitting by
Latter Day Saint influenced?? :lol:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Sudsy wrote: Not all Anabaptists but many in our local area do not expand other than through raising children to follow in their group's footsteps.
This to me is evangelism.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Martin wrote:
Sudsy wrote:To some extent I was made to feel guilty if I didn't evangelize.
What is you definition of evangelism? I personally believe the Great Commission was for the twelve apostles.
Borrowing from other definitions I would put it this way - "Evangelism is sharing Jesus Christ in word and deed, in the power of the Holy Spirit, to see people come to put their trust in God through Jesus and accept Jesus as their Savior and serve Him as their King in the fellowship of the church."

If the Great Commission was just for the twelve apostles, how do you think Christianity spread around the globe ? Perhaps you can explain more on why you think this verse does not extend to all believers. Obviously, a majority in Christianity think as you on this by their actions but do not view this as only applying to the apostles. Some see evangelism as a special gift of the Spirit and not one they have so they never share their faith in Christ.

In my experience, the unchurched who are born again cannot keep quiet about their new faith and want everyone to have it. This is often a good sign that they have become a new creation.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Martin wrote:I personally believe the Great Commission was for the twelve apostles.
Including the instruction of baptism? Or do we have to break it apart?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Sudsy wrote:
Martin wrote:
Sudsy wrote:To some extent I was made to feel guilty if I didn't evangelize.
What is you definition of evangelism? I personally believe the Great Commission was for the twelve apostles.
Borrowing from other definitions I would put it this way - "Evangelism is sharing Jesus Christ in word and deed, in the power of the Holy Spirit, to see people come to put their trust in God through Jesus and accept Jesus as their Savior and serve Him as their King in the fellowship of the church."

If the Great Commission was just for the twelve apostles, how do you think Christianity spread around the globe ? Perhaps you can explain more on why you think this verse does not extend to all believers. Obviously, a majority in Christianity think as you on this by their actions but do not view this as only applying to the apostles. Some see evangelism as a special gift of the Spirit and not one they have so they never share their faith in Christ.

In my experience, the unchurched who are born again cannot keep quiet about their new faith and want everyone to have it. This is often a good sign that they have become a new creation.
I agree with Boyd and will try to explain my position later.
Last edited by Martin on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Martin wrote:
Sudsy wrote: Not all Anabaptists but many in our local area do not expand other than through raising children to follow in their group's footsteps.
This to me is evangelism.
I would agree it can be evangelism and can be successful if the children do not just adapt religious ways but actually have a personal, saving relationship with God. But what about the millions upon millions that don't grow up in a Christian home ?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I consider the great commission to be given to the church today. It is the churches responsibility to send people to all nations and baptize them.
Our personal responsibility is to be part of the church, and go when sent.
This isn’t to mean we don’t evangelize at home at all! Clearly, we each have a personal responsibility here at home. I just don’t regard the great commission as proof text for personal, local evangelism.
0 x